The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology (Unofficial) B2 Mark Scheme.

How did that exam go? Will be posting a mark scheme based on answers soon!

Special thanks to niichola!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

not bad actually, just stumbled a little at the fossils topic
What was the answer for that test tube sucrose/lactose question?
Reply 3
the chloroplast question threw me a bit
Original post by keepyourapology
What was the answer for that test tube sucrose/lactose question?

I put down 17, but idk if its right, some people put 18 and some put 15 but it was about an estimate so idk
Reply 5
Original post by Asfand786
I put down 17, but idk if its right, some people put 18 and some put 15 but it was about an estimate so idk

Yeah i put 17. I think its okay as long as its lower than the other 2
How did that exam go? Will be posting a mark scheme based on answers soon!

Question 1 (Bacterial/Yeast Cell) :
Part (a):
(yeast cell)• has a nucleus (1)• does not have a flagellum(1)• does not have a plasmid(1)
(bacterial cell)• has chromosomal DNA /circular DNA (1)• has a capsule (1)• has a slime coat (1)• does not havemitochondria (1)

Fossils Question :

MCQ Answer : D

what about Vacuole?
what about Vacuole?

Yes that too! This is a copy of the mark scheme from the 2013(?) paper because the same question came up! And the vacuole answer was in the 'accept' section.
Original post by roshna00
Yeah i put 17. I think its okay as long as its lower than the other 2

17? where did you get that from? wasn't it 42?
Original post by caitlinford3
17? where did you get that from? wasn't it 42?

17, cuz it should have been less than the other two. I put 20 but Idk who's right.
17, cuz it should have been less than the other two. I put 20 but Idk who's right.

Are we talking GCSE or iGCSE? From what I remember there was pH 9 = 28 mg/cm^3 ; pH 7 = 35mg/cm^3 and then you would notice the pattern and add 7 again for pH 5 to get 42mg/cm^3?
Are we talking GCSE or iGCSE? From what I remember there was pH 9 = 28 mg/cm^3 ; pH 7 = 35mg/cm^3 and then you would notice the pattern and add 7 again for pH 5 to get 42mg/cm^3?

GCSE, but as I said, idk it's right because I was just following the pattern from the sucrose solution, because it said 369, 455 and 225, indicating that the middle value at pH 7 would be the highest.
Reply 12
What did you guys think of this exam?
ill post my answers
q1 bacteria has not got mitochondria, bacteria has not got nucleus
next part is organelle in yeast that allows it to respire? mitochondria
equation for yeast to anaerobically respire is gulocose - alcohol + carbon dioxide
write the differences between aerobic and anaerobic in yeast? I said when yeast aerobically respire they don't just use glucose put also use oxygen.( I think thats right)
next part ...
What did y'all put for the question about different number of chloroplasts in the last question?
GCSE, but as I said, idk it's right because I was just following the pattern from the sucrose solution, because it said 369, 455 and 225, indicating that the middle value at pH 7 would be the highest.

The bottom 3 in the table weren't sucrose they were lactose, and it was following the lactose? Sucrose + lactose would perform differently
What did y'all put for the question about different number of chloroplasts in the last question?

I said something like it's an adaption which would maximize photosynthesis because light intensity is a limiting factor and so having chloroplasts on every site will make sure that they capture every site of light intensity, something like that, I didn't like that Q
The bottom 3 in the table weren't sucrose they were lactose, and it was following the lactose? Sucrose + lactose would perform differently

Yeah, lots of people said that, but then, why would they put that sucrose table if it didn't show the pattern? Maybe it was to throw us off, but I'm not very sure. I'll ask my Biology teacher. What did other people in your year put?

I said something like it's an adaption which would maximize photosynthesis because light intensity is a limiting factor and so having chloroplasts on every site will make sure that they capture every site of light intensity, something like that, I didn't like that Q

That's a really good answer, ngl, I put a dumb one, like there's more chloroplasts at the top because that's where most of the sun is absorbed so the plant can start producing glucose right away. Wow, I feel stupid now. xP I hope I didn't lose enough marks to lose an A*..I don't know how the grade boundaries will be.
Reply 17
I said something along those lines too. I mentioned that more photosynthesis means more glucose for respiration but I don't know whether that has any relevance? The heart diagram Q messed me up. I always get those wrong :/
Reply 18

Yh i put something similar I said more chloroplast will increase the rate of photosynthesis and chloroplast at different places like leaf palisade cells will mean photosynthesis can occur quicker because it is closer to the stomata hence it can get carbon dioxide and oxygen at a faster rate through diffusion - so less diffusion pathway through the spoons Mesophyll layer
Original post by htkta
I said something along those lines too. I mentioned that more photosynthesis means more glucose for respiration but I don't know whether that has any relevance? The heart diagram Q messed me up. I always get those wrong :/

What were the heart questions? I completely forgot..And don't worry, I'm sure you did okay. The paper was a bit messed up.

Quick Reply

Latest