Workers Rights should be abolished or not? Watch

Iknowbest
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Are ALL workers rights required? Are we too soft on workers? Do some of the these rights cripple businesses?

Minimum wage.. pointless in my opinion! Changes to the whole financial system is needed! Would Britain be better off without a NMW?

Contracts..pro's, con's

HR companies and do we need them?

Unions and how much use are these today?

Lots to discuss.. but can we create a much better system that helps the economy and every person in the country not just workers!!

Lessening the gap between rich and poor... could changing some laws help this, ie the cost of living being raised due to higher wage bills.. is this a problem?
LordMallard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Certainly think NLW should be scrapped. I would have a minimum wage but a lower one. If people get paid less they would be supported by a negative income tax. Also helping with some costs would mean people would be able to survive on lower wages. Lower cost of housing by building more, and also introducing more competition into utilities to reduce energy bills.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I support the Minimum wage. I think a Maximum wage would be a good idea.

I support taxes on bonuses such as those put forward by the EU.

An EU wide minimum and maximum wage coupled with a universal income would be fantastic in twenty years or so.

I think zero hour contracts, so long as they're not abused are a good thing. I and a lot of people I know have benefitted from them.
sebby491
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davij038)

An EU wide minimum and maximum wage coupled with a universal income would be fantastic in twenty years or so.

I think zero hour contracts, so long as they're not abused are a good thing. I and a lot of people I know have benefitted from them.
Once we Vote Leave people like you won't be able to implement those stupid ideas. Universal Income? Maximum wage? Go to some communist state you ignorant fool.
Iknowbest
Rep:
?
May I ask why you think it is that many EU countries are struggling economically in real terms.. ie Greece for an example, maybe Ireland, and the UK too ie Austerity measures we have in place and why many EU countries are not growing as fast as the BRIC nations for example.

The reason I ask this is because it is my limited belief it could be the minimum wage?

(Original post by Davij038)

Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sebby491)
Once we Vote Leave people like you won't be able to implement those stupid ideas. Universal Income? Maximum wage? Go to some communist state you ignorant fool.
My bad, I thought you wanted a democracy.

What will you do if the UK votes Remain? Will your key worker let you emigrate?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
An a union member I can see the huge benefits to professions of having strong unions. Companies and governments want to pay as little as they can to their employees. There needs to be strong protection against exploitation, through unions and minimum wages.

Or let's reintroduce the sans-culottes and have maximum prices
Kieran1996
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is there something in British water this year that makes us want to take five hundred million steps backwards and undo all the hard work of previous generations to make life good?

Rn the life of the average working person is SO MUCH better than 100 years ago
Iknowbest
Rep:
?
OK that makes sense to have a lower minimum wage, that is a compromise for me still due to my belief that a person knows there own worth, and business owners realise the worth of a worker. (although this can be abused) but a mutual agreement should be in place.

IDEA: many won't agree but they should
If ALL companies had to publicly show their finances and we had a maximum profit share for owners and a fair wages (percentage) per business model.. it would work great for all and then truly be a fair process. Obviously the business owner(s) would benefit more than the workers.. and a percentage could be used for how successful a business model is. People would truly be rewarded for being successful but only to a certain extent. This would really solve many issues and stop greed.

It would encourage more entrepreneurs because they would rightly earn more and encourage workers because they would get a better deal (depending on the success of the business) so they would work harder to earn more.

(Original post by LordMallard)
Certainly think NLW should be scrapped. I would have a minimum wage but a lower one. If people get paid less they would be supported by a negative income tax. Also helping with some costs would mean people would be able to survive on lower wages. Lower cost of housing by building more, and also introducing more competition into utilities to reduce energy bills.
Iknowbest
Rep:
?
Not for many people it is not.. many people suffer and rely on food banks.. or worse! Simply is not working for ALL

(Original post by Kieran1996)
Is there something in British water this year that makes us want to take five hundred million steps backwards and undo all the hard work of previous generations to make life good?

Rn the life of the average working person is SO MUCH better than 100 years ago
LordMallard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Iknowbest)
OK that makes sense to have a lower minimum wage, that is a compromise for me still due to my belief that a person knows there own worth, and business owners realise the worth of a worker. (although this can be abused) but a mutual agreement should be in place.

IDEA: many won't agree but they should
If ALL companies had to publicly show their finances and we had a maximum profit share for owners and a fair wages (percentage) per business model.. it would work great for all and then truly be a fair process. Obviously the business owner(s) would benefit more than the workers.. and a percentage could be used for how successful a business model is. People would truly be rewarded for being successful but only to a certain extent. This would really solve many issues and stop greed.

It would encourage more entrepreneurs because they would rightly earn more and encourage workers because they would get a better deal (depending on the success of the business) so they would work harder to earn more.
Good idea would be issuing shares to workers
Kieran1996
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not for many people it is not.. many people suffer and rely on food banks.. or worse! Simply is not working for ALL
Well that is separate to workers rights

The issue you mention is the diversity of wealth

To get something for all means moving forward not backwards
Iknowbest
Rep:
?
No it is all linked.. we wouldn't need so many Rights if a more transparent system was in place for ALL finance.
Well that is separate to workers rights

The issue you mention is the diversity of wealth

To get something for all means moving forward not backwards
Kieran1996
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No it is all linked.. we wouldn't need so many Rights if a more transparent system was in place for ALL finance.
AH

See finance will never be transparent

Big banks want big bucks and big bucks come illegally
Iknowbest
Rep:
?
Yes that would also work.. but it is the more transparent financial system that would truly make the world a better place. The shares would be similar to simply paying extra for harder work or more successful businesses.. I think people wouldn't mind either.
(Original post by LordMallard)
Good idea would be issuing shares to workers
Iknowbest
Rep:
?
Yep exactly.. and exactly the problem - hence this new transparent financial system and fairness to ALL - Cruel world!
AH

See finance will never be transparent

Big banks want big bucks and big bucks come illegally
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So what if companies were to be transparant (which they won't be) if we degrade workers' rights to the point where they can exploit with impunity?

You think people will manage the market by simply not buying from them, even when they are much cheaper through exploiting workers?
Kieran1996
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yep exactly.. and exactly the problem - hence this new transparent financial system and fairness to ALL - Cruel world!
I agree that financial big dogs are to blame
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Of course workers rights are required. Or should we bring back The Master and Servant Act, where workers are imprisoned for minor breaches of contract?

As for the minimum wage, I'm yet to see much to say that it is damaging or has significant negative effects on the economy. So I regard it as a good thing. To quote the government's Low Pay Commission:

The literature on the impact of the National Minimum Wage has been further extended byour research programme for this report. We have now commissioned over 130 researchprojects from external organisations that have investigated various aspects of the impact ofthe NMW. We conclude from this work that the lowest paid have received higher thanaverage wage increases but that there remains little evidence of signi cant adverse effectsof the minimum wage on employment, whether analysing aggregate employment; individualemployment probabilities; relative employment shares of low-paying sectors; or regionalemployment differences. The research does nd that employers have adopted a number ofstrategies to cope with the minimum wage. These include adjusting pay structures; reducingnon-wage costs; small reductions in hours; increases in productivity; some increases inprices; and some squeezing of pro ts although insuf cient to lead to an increase in businessfailure. Our most recent research has not altered this conclusion but has helped provide aclearer understanding of these endings.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...eport_2014.pdf
Iknowbest
Rep:
?
How can a business whom share their profits with workers, exploit workers? They are all in effect Business Partners so no matter the decisions made by the owners, management, workers will be directly effected. If they don't like the decisions being made then don't work there! The harder they work and the more successful the business the more they could make. The difference now will be that everybody can see the finances.. thus eliminating certain people from capitalizing or exploiting anybody.

I understand the changes would be HUGE.. and it would mean more than likely business competition would be unneeded... and the best business models would prevail.. and could potentially mean less business brands per area, even region, country or world in some cases, depending on consumers preferences or like mentioned simply cheapest! It wouldn't make any difference to how it works now, except it would stop the 1% rich list!

(Original post by offhegoes)
So what if companies were to be transparent (which they won't be) if we degrade workers' rights to the point where they can exploit with impunity?

You think people will manage the market by simply not buying from them, even when they are much cheaper through exploiting workers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (99)
49.5%
No (101)
50.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed