Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girl I'm interested has invited me to meet her parents. Really stressed out. Watch

Why would she want me to meet her parents?

Apparently it's a realy fancy restaurant and I need to wear a tuxedo. I'm really stressing out.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point of stressing out?

It could mean anything, depending on the context.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why would she want me to meet her parents?

Apparently it's a realy fancy restaurant and I need to wear a tuxedo. I'm really stressing out.
    Clearly you re important to her just be polite and friendly and I m sure it will go well.

(Original post by BristolFresher15)
    What's the point of stressing out?

It could mean anything, depending on the context.

Because her dad is extremely strict and I know for a fact he has high standards. I'm worried that if I slip up I won't be able to date his daughter. He's Jewish as well and I'm not...

(Original post by claireestelle)
    Clearly you re important to her just be polite and friendly and I m sure it will go well.
    We've known eachother for a couple years now. We've had little moments together, but she's only recently moved to my hometown. I think she might be wanting to get to the next step. This'll be the first time I meet her parents.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    We've known eachother for a couple years now. We've had little moments together, but she's only recently moved to my hometown. I think she might be wanting to get to the next step. This'll be the first time I meet her parents.
    A little nerves is normal when meeting the parents but there's nothing for you to worry about I m sure

(Original post by claireestelle)
    A little nerves is normal when meeting the parents but there's nothing for you to worry about I m sure
    She also wants to come round mine to 'get changed' which is weird lol
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    She also wants to come round mine to 'get changed' which is weird lol
    That's possibly a emuptheism, could be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    Because her dad is extremely strict and I know for a fact he has high standards. I'm worried that if I slip up I won't be able to date his daughter. He's Jewish as well and I'm not...
    If you worry you'll have a higher chance of slipping up. Just take it in your stride.

ReputationRep:
    Be a gentleman and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    You're only human; I'm sure they'll realise that.

As long as you don't wear a tuxedo with the nazi symbol on it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

(And you're clearly very important to her. )

Lol I wrote the nazi part before I read that he is Jewish. How ironic / what a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    Can we play truth or dare before u go meet them?

ReputationRep:
    Be yourself and it'll be fine. Her coming to change at yours well..... It'll relieve the stress

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    first make sure you are presentable, then ake sure you shake hands with the mother and father, referring to them by their surname. a key to eating a resturant is table etiqite. hold your knife and for properly.
    bar this and acting natural, it should be fie. the girl obviously believes you can impress them, so do so

(Original post by XcitingStuart)
    You're only human; I'm sure they'll realise that.

As long as you don't wear a tuxedo with the nazi symbol on it, I'm sure you'll be fine.

(And you're clearly very important to her. )

Lol I wrote the nazi part before I read that he is Jewish. How ironic / what a coincidence.
    Why is it clear that I am?

I wouldn't dare offend him. One foot out of line and I won't be able to see her again.

ReputationRep:
    What if, the parents heard her mention you often, so they ask to meet you?

Maybe she even asked if she could date you.

I can't imagine this much fuss for anyone classed as just a friend. Just do your best, try not to panic, that's all you can do.

Just a few suggestions, but just be yourself, they have been in you're position before:

Call them sir and madam/ Mr. and Mrs. until they tell you otherwise
    Shake the fathers hand if he offers it
    Manners (don't use your phone at the table)
    They may ask you what you are planning to do i the future so have an idea of what you are going to say
    Casual convo i.e. no religion, politics, money etc.
    Get there on time
    Offer to split the bill (they are highly unlikely to let you, but take some money anyway, it shows that you are a gentleman)
    Possibly flowers for the mum (may be a bit of a hassel in a restaurant)

All they want to know is that their little girl in happy and being well treated.You'll be fine just smile and be yourself. She obviously thinks you are ready to meet them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.