Learning to drive an automatic

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I have had a few lessons driving a manual car but I can honestly tell you I HATE it. I dread every lesson because I panic about the clutch and junctions which my anxiety doesn't help. My dad drives an automatic and it seems so much simpler and easy for me to understand. Yes I know I can only drive automatics and I know the known disadvantages but I really do want to drive just not a manual. He long does it take to learn to drive an automatic and is it simpler to learn that a manual?

ReputationRep:
    Takes like 30 seconds lol , imo manual is too much hassle

ReputationRep:
    Learning to control the car is really only a small part of learning to drive. Yes, at first everything may seem to be about the clutch and gears, but ultimately you're learning to be on roads with other road users. After not too long all the controls because second nature anyway.

Also, whilst an automatic feels nice and easy I miss the added control over the car that you get with a manual.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be simpler to learn an automatic than a manual. But honestly do yourself a favour and just learn to drive a manual. You say you'd had a few lessons but that is really not enough time to decide if you want to go manual or automatic.

It's not easy for everyone to grasp driving a manual at first. Some people will have dozens of lessons and still not be able to drive manual very well. But it's not a difficult thing to do and with practice you'll be fine.

Clutch is nothing to worry about. It's not a big deal if you stall it. Plenty of people stall, even after they've been driving for years. Yes you need to get the hang of it and that takes time. But with practice you'll be able to control the car much better. The clutch will be your best friend.

Same thing for worrying about junctions. Just take your time and don't panic. Doesn't matter if you're a bit slow pulling away or stall it a bunch. Just stay calm, put a bit of power and pull of the clutch a little. Start rolling away, even if it's slow. You'll get the hang of it and drivers are usually pretty considerate with learners. Not to mention your instructor will stop you if he feels it would be dangerous.

The whole anxiety thing is pretty unrelated to driving a manual. You can have anxiety at junctions in an automatic. The anxiety goes away the more you practice and the more you're on the road. I bet we were all nervous the first time we got on the roads. But after some practice most of us are absolutely fine. If you have anxiety discuss it with your instructor. Get more practice off the roads, in a quiet car park for example, so that you are comfortable in the car.

Honestly you'll do yourself more favours in the long run if you stick at it and learn to drive a manual. There's nothing wrong with learning to drive an automatic but it doesn't really do you many favours, besides being a little simpler.

Take your time, don't panic and relax. Your instructor won't let you do anything stupid, so just focus on what your're doing and what's going on around you. Get more lessons under your belt before you decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beckyemma)
    I have had a few lessons driving a manual car but I can honestly tell you I HATE it. I dread every lesson because I panic about the clutch and junctions which my anxiety doesn't help. My dad drives an automatic and it seems so much simpler and easy for me to understand. Yes I know I can only drive automatics and I know the known disadvantages but I really do want to drive just not a manual. He long does it take to learn to drive an automatic and is it simpler to learn that a manual?
    I disagree with the above.

Yes, it's much simpler and much safer as well since you can spend more time concentrating on the road and driving safely rather than fiddling about with your bite point and hesitating at junctions and roundabouts.

Go for an automatic licence, remember you can always take another test in a manual in the future to "upgrade" your licence so to speak, when you've developed that driving "sixth sense", which I think only comes when you've done a few thousand miles after your test.

I think that it's just unnecessary risk to go for a full manual car when you're a new driver and don't have much experience on the roads. You're more likely to miss something, slip up and have a prang. Your first few months driving should be calm and collected, focusing on the road and building up your experience. Not worrying about gears and getting distracted.

ReputationRep:
    Driving a car isn't rocket science. Just practice, practice, practice and you will get better at it. Switching to an automatic because you initially struggle in a manual is comparable in educational terms to quitting A Levels and switching to BTEC because you can't be bothered to put the effort in.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.