The Student Room Group

Learning to drive an automatic

I have had a few lessons driving a manual car but I can honestly tell you I HATE it. I dread every lesson because I panic about the clutch and junctions which my anxiety doesn't help. My dad drives an automatic and it seems so much simpler and easy for me to understand. Yes I know I can only drive automatics and I know the known disadvantages but I really do want to drive just not a manual. He long does it take to learn to drive an automatic and is it simpler to learn that a manual?
Takes like 30 seconds lol , imo manual is too much hassle
Reply 2
Learning to control the car is really only a small part of learning to drive. Yes, at first everything may seem to be about the clutch and gears, but ultimately you're learning to be on roads with other road users. After not too long all the controls because second nature anyway.

Also, whilst an automatic feels nice and easy I miss the added control over the car that you get with a manual.
Original post by beckyemma
I have had a few lessons driving a manual car but I can honestly tell you I HATE it. I dread every lesson because I panic about the clutch and junctions which my anxiety doesn't help. My dad drives an automatic and it seems so much simpler and easy for me to understand. Yes I know I can only drive automatics and I know the known disadvantages but I really do want to drive just not a manual. He long does it take to learn to drive an automatic and is it simpler to learn that a manual?

I disagree with the above.

Yes, it's much simpler and much safer as well since you can spend more time concentrating on the road and driving safely rather than fiddling about with your bite point and hesitating at junctions and roundabouts.

Go for an automatic licence, remember you can always take another test in a manual in the future to "upgrade" your licence so to speak, when you've developed that driving "sixth sense", which I think only comes when you've done a few thousand miles after your test.

I think that it's just unnecessary risk to go for a full manual car when you're a new driver and don't have much experience on the roads. You're more likely to miss something, slip up and have a prang. Your first few months driving should be calm and collected, focusing on the road and building up your experience. Not worrying about gears and getting distracted.

Get used to driving on the roads first. Then when you're comfortable, learn a manual gearbox and get your manual license, because it's an invaluable skill to have.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Driving a car isn't rocket science. Just practice, practice, practice and you will get better at it. Switching to an automatic because you initially struggle in a manual is comparable in educational terms to quitting A Levels and switching to BTEC because you can't be bothered to put the effort in.
it took me about 6 years on n off to learn to drive a manua car, its not easy but nothing really is until you put considerate effort into learning about it. Id say learn manual, its pricey if u need more lessons but i passed my test and it feels good knowing how to master tht clutch. I dont want a automatic dont care how enticing it sounds, manual for me. Simone
Reply 6
Just something to bear in mind, but AFAIK insurance can be considerably more with an automatic only licence.
I'm learning to drive an auto as like you hated manual and as I was only learning through necessity and my oh only being able to drive auto because of a disability I switched. it's so much easier and I no longer dread having lessons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending