Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was looking on the universities term dates, because my family is looking to go on holiday next year, however the time of year depends when the universities on holiday. We are looking to go in June and I was looking at the term dates and it says that the third starts of the 4th April and ends on 19th of May, but then continues to say that the 3rd semester begins on 22nd May and ends on the 25th July. I just wanted to know what this means, if the university finishes early or not and if I would still be able to go on holiday in June.

ReputationRep:
    From my understanding, most degrees only have 2 semesters, its only degrees such as nursing and midwifery that have 3. So if your course is the standard length then you should be okay for a holiday in July. Hope this helps.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by fallon_duncan)
    I was looking on the universities term dates, because my family is looking to go on holiday next year, however the time of year depends when the universities on holiday. We are looking to go in June and I was looking at the term dates and it says that the third starts of the 4th April and ends on 19th of May, but then continues to say that the 3rd semester begins on 22nd May and ends on the 25th July. I just wanted to know what this means, if the university finishes early or not and if I would still be able to go on holiday in June.
    Hi fallon_duncan,

The vast majority of courses only run for 2 semesters, University usual ends by mid-May. Semester 3 is usually for Post graduate students (who do their dissertation during summer) and courses that require work experience (such as Nursing, Midwifery etc.)

I doubt the dates will affect you, as you should of finished by then.

Hope that helps,

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Hi in a panic I'm on holiday 29th August till 8th September 2016 but just got an email saying my course starts 1st September before I booked i did research on uni start dates which were much later, what will happen if I miss the first week .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethstar1234)
    Hi in a panic I'm on holiday 29th August till 8th September 2016 but just got an email saying my course starts 1st September before I booked i did research on uni start dates which were much later, what will happen if I miss the first week .
    It's usually freshers for the first week and no lessons - just ring up the uni and ask what date the teaching for your course starts - ask to be put through to the school that runs your subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethstar1234)
    AFAIK, Week 1 on my timetable is the 12th September (Usually fresher's and orientations.) Week 2 commences on the 19th, which is usually where teaching begins.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.