Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Diabetes...anyone? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey ppl...just wanted to ask, if anyone out here is diabetic? or do anyone know anyone who is?..cuz my little sis (9years) was recently diagnsed with it..we are all shocked and worried..she is on insulin 5 times a day (injetions!eeks)!...
    Can anyone help or guide us?

This is not a close relation really but my half sisters ex boyfriend/best friend/person she was on and off with for 10 years was diabetic and had to inject insulin.

What advice is needed about it, if she eats less sugar and exercises a lot then less insulin will be required...?

ReputationRep:
    My grandma's been dialbetic for the last 10 years, its not really a problem but she has to have a very controled diet. My grandad has also being diagonised with it but he is 78.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose in Bloom)
    Hey ppl...just wanted to ask, if anyone out here is diabetic? or do anyone know anyone who is?..cuz my little sis (7years) was recently diagnsed with it..we are all shocked and worried..she is on insulin 3 times a day (injetions!eeks)!...
    My dad is diabetic..but he'll have a different type of diabetes. Your sister will have type 1 diabetes...and needs insulin injections...my dad has type 2 and can control it with diet.

Main thing for your sister is...don't miss out any meals....try not to do too much exercise/activity...cos that'll bring her glucose levels right down. Don't miss injections either (obviously).

Also..one tip...watch out when she's getting rather violent/aggressive....she could be going hypo...and watch out if she's feeling really lethargic....could be hyperglycaemic. I think that's right.

Hope things go well

G

ReputationRep:
    Hey ppl...just wanted to ask, if anyone out here is diabetic? or do anyone know anyone who is?..cuz my little sis (7years) was recently diagnsed with it..we are all shocked and worried..she is on insulin 3 times a day (injetions!eeks)!...
    one of my closest friends is diabetic and has been since she was 7 years old too. she was also on injections 3 times a day. Now I dont think she needs the one before lunch but stll has it morning and night. I'm afraid my advice is a little limited but what i can say, is that it does get easier. I mean, it doesn't even bother my friend now, part of her normal routine and she can even drink etc

it will become better with time.all the best

charlotte x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)

What advice is needed about it, if she eats less sugar and exercises a lot then less insulin will be required...?
    Really?!!!...I reallyhope they'll reduce the dose..poor child..and I hope there is a scientific breakthru of some sort!

ReputationRep:
    It must be a shock to you all at the moment, but with the right treatment she'll be fine and live a totally normal existence My boyfriend's best mate is diabetic and has to inject insulin but it doesn't stop him having a great social life like anyone else his age, so don't worry about anything like that. Only time I even remember he's diabetic is when he glares at me for offering him cake :rolleyes: My aunt is also diabetic. She's experienced some eyesight problems due to it not being diagnosed for a long time, but is on the right medication now and doing fine too. Try not to worry and just help your sister adjust to it being a normal part of her life. Hope she's okay

ReputationRep:
    My sister has it, she's Type2 and has to have it three times a day too. She was diagnosed when she was 14. I think you just deal with it, she did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    My grandma's been dialbetic for the last 10 years, its not really a problem but she has to have a very controled diet. My grandad has also being diagonised with it but he is 78.
    Problem with that is your grandma will have type 2...her sister will have type 1

(Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Best not to risk it..stick to normal sized meals and try not to exercise too much. If exercising is needed..make sure you have some sugar on hand to boost the levels.

G

ReputationRep:
    I'm not diabetic but I read about a new type of insulin injection which doesn't involve needles and is available on the NHS now. It's more like something which you hold against the skin as it spreads insulin underneath and doesn't hurt. Don't worry because it's more easily controlled now and I hope she stays well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knight-Errant)
    My sister has it, she's Type2 and has to have it three times a day too. She was diagnosed when she was 14. I think you just deal with it, she did.
    I mean kids have a huge capacity for dealing with things and accepting them, you just need to be optimistic and all pull together, it's not the end of the world but it is a big shock. Healthy eating from now on though, you'll get all the info and help from the doctors and a nurse coming for regular check ups. I don't know if they let a 7yo inject herself though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx ppl...these responses are a gr8 support cuz at the moment its all very hard!...I mean she is a little girl who used to love junk food and sweets..and now its all gone from her lfe..my heart goes out to her!...I have have stopped eating what she can't ...just so that she won't feel bad!
    and yeah its type 1 dabetes!

ReputationRep:
    Nopes..I am or my mother, we are injecting her...she is still young for that!
    (My brother wanted to try...but freaked out!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    I'm not diabetic but I read about a new type of insulin injection which doesn't involve needles and is available on the NHS now. It's more like something which you hold against the skin as it spreads insulin underneath and doesn't hurt. Don't worry because it's more easily controlled now and I hope she stays well
    Whats the NHS...can you plz tell me more abt this new thing?..if you have any more info, or if anyone else know more abt this new needle free thingie?...I am in the middle east btw...

ReputationRep:
    Thanx ppl...these responses are a gr8 support cuz at the moment its all very hard!...I mean she is a little girl who used to love junk food and sweets..and now its all gone from her lfe..my heart goes out to her!...I have have stopped eating what she can't ...just so that she won't feel bad!
    and yeah its type 1 dabetes!
    it isnt gone all her life..youll find as she gets older that basiclaly everything can be eaten in moderation - at least thats how it is with my friend whos had diabetes for 11 years

ReputationRep:
    Okay, cool, they let you practice on oranges, it's funny how much water you can inject into an orange. good luck and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I have just handed in an assignment on this so my mind is fresh. So your sister has diabetes type one which develops when the body is unable to produce any insulin and this type is more common in young children. The main treatment for type one is to achieve blood glucose and blood pressure levels as near to the normal as possible.

It can be pretty scary for your sister and your family but it shouldnt be. It isnt life threating if treated in the correct way. Keeping the body an a relative norm complmented with a healthy diet and regular exercise with sustain positive health, well being and protect against long term damage to the eyes, kidneys, nerves and heart. It is important that you get care from the primary and secondary care structures. This is just to make sure that the medication is working.

I'm sure your sister has a care plan devised by the practice nurse. This is a great tool that is for the whole family to work together. You can get info from your local health practice or even the pharmacist.

Check out the www.diabetes.org.uk This is the leading charity for people with diabetes.

Try not to worry

ReputationRep:
    Also..are there any complications later in life?

ReputationRep:
    I saw a thing on TV that was something like a pancreas transplant (but not that, obviously) where a diabetic man never had to have injections again. I think it was some kind of implant. I don't think it's widely available and will probably be expensive, plus there's no guarantee but maybe that's something you can look into.

ReputationRep:
    Diabetes can cause eye problems and weight gain but the weight gain can be controlled by regular exercise, which shouldn't be a problem for a kid and the eye problems may not occur, it's only a possibility. You'll get a load of info soon from the nurse if you haven't already, no need to worry about later, concentrate on the present.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.