The Student Room Group

Should I just stick to 3 A levels

Hi
So I chose Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Spanish. I want a medical based career and I thought spanish would make me seem like a well rounded person and help me to talk to patients etc, but apparently there's this app doctors and nurses etc use so there wouldn't be a point.

Also I feel like studying spanish will be a waste as I have no plans to go to spanish speaking countries and I only chose the A level incase I do badly on my third a level (english lit) and so I could substitute in the spanish instead to meet entry requirements. Spanish is similar to french (I speak it) and I have looked at the a level and at GCSE I have found spanish incredibly easy so I thought if I do bad I'm sure spanish wouldn't take up much of my time. People tell me don't underestimate an A level and I believe them so I'm begining to question if there is even a point in studying spanish, as people are saying theoretically I'd do better focusing only on 3 A levels.

I realised there are spanish books to read and study and I'm thinking maybe I'm just gonna slack and be so bored in the class, and you can't drop the A level, right?

Let's say I applied to medicine, would they even care I chose a language A level? Does it make any difference? Even in the job market? I'll have my french A level so is there even a point? Would I have no life with 4 A levels? Should I just study spanish in my freetime like I did with french A level so I don't get any homework lol and sit the exam at the same time as the other exams, or would that just be silly?

Please tell me what you think honestly, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Do 3, you only need three and you'll be able to get better grades when you're only focusing on 3.

Original post by geniequeen48
Hi
So I chose Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Spanish. I want a medical based career and I thought spanish would make me seem like a well rounded person and help me to talk to patients etc, but apparently there's this app doctors and nurses etc use so there wouldn't be a point.

Also I feel like studying spanish will be a waste as I have no plans to go to spanish speaking countries and I only chose the A level incase I do badly on my third a level (english lit) and so I could substitute in the spanish instead to meet entry requirements. Spanish is similar to french (I speak it) and I have looked at the a level and at GCSE I have found spanish incredibly easy so I thought if I do bad I'm sure spanish wouldn't take up much of my time. People tell me don't underestimate an A level and I believe them so I'm begining to question if there is even a point in studying spanish, as people are saying theoretically I'd do better focusing only on 3 A levels.

I realised there are spanish books to read and study and I'm thinking maybe I'm just gonna slack and be so bored in the class, and you can't drop the A level, right?

Let's say I applied to medicine, would they even care I chose a language A level? Does it make any difference? Even in the job market? I'll have my french A level so is there even a point? Would I have no life with 4 A levels? Should I just study spanish in my freetime like I did with french A level so I don't get any homework lol and sit the exam at the same time as the other exams, or would that just be silly?

Please tell me what you think honestly, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Medical Schools probably care more about the skills you get from learning a language than you actually being able to speak it. For instance, you get logic, rigour, and analytical skills from doing A Level Spanish, which would be helpful in Medicine as you need logic, rigour, and analytical skills.
Original post by george_c00per
Medical Schools probably care more about the skills you get from learning a language than you actually being able to speak it. For instance, you get logic, rigour, and analytical skills from doing A Level Spanish, which would be helpful in Medicine as you need logic, rigour, and analytical skills.

But you get those skills from english literature too, don't you? Plus could I just say i gained those skills when I did A level french? I acc learnt so much and improved many skills believe me, even if you speak the language, man you can learn a lot lol.
But you get those skills from english literature too, don't you? Plus could I just say i gained those skills when I did A level french? I acc learnt so much and improved many skills believe me, even if you speak the language, man you can learn a lot lol.

That's true, as you've already done A Level French you've got those skills already. Just do 3, and you'll be able to put more effort into each subject, lol I missed the point where you mentioned you have done A Level French :redface:
Reply 5
Doing A2 now, if I had 4 subjects I don't think I would have made it this year. Also, your universities only care about 3 subjects, not 4 and by doing an extra subject you will probably bring down your other subjects as well.
Hi,

I would say really just do the three subjects.

Speaking from personal experience, I only actually did three AS subjects, as I tried - you guessed it - Spanish for a month and a bit and found the workload way too much to deal with - I wanted to focus on my other subjects. I was encouraged to only take three AS levels and then just carry them on to A2 which is what I have done - and no, it hasn't affected the universities I've been able to apply to in the slightest. I got three As at AS (currently doing my A2s) and offers from Glasgow, Edinburgh, York Durham and Cambridge (my firm :biggrin:) so you needn't worry about only doing three A levels making you less attractive to universities (although, that said, medicine is very competitive.. but even so it shouldn't make a difference!)

My friend took Spanish at AS and A2 and she said it is easily the most stressful and time consuming subject she takes, and from my own experiences its a whole lot of work and difficult to actually get a good grade in...

Anyway, that was a trek but hopefully that helps!
Just do 3 , u need 3, alevels are extremely difficult. 1 Alevel is difficult itself, but doing 4 is tragic

unis only look at 3 ,

cut yourself the hassle
Original post by Gym&Tonic
Hi,

I would say really just do the three subjects.

Speaking from personal experience, I only actually did three AS subjects, as I tried - you guessed it - Spanish for a month and a bit and found the workload way too much to deal with - I wanted to focus on my other subjects. I was encouraged to only take three AS levels and then just carry them on to A2 which is what I have done - and no, it hasn't affected the universities I've been able to apply to in the slightest. I got three As at AS (currently doing my A2s) and offers from Glasgow, Edinburgh, York Durham and Cambridge (my firm :biggrin:) so you needn't worry about only doing three A levels making you less attractive to universities (although, that said, medicine is very competitive.. but even so it shouldn't make a difference!)

My friend took Spanish at AS and A2 and she said it is easily the most stressful and time consuming subject she takes, and from my own experiences its a whole lot of work and difficult to actually get a good grade in...

Anyway, that was a trek but hopefully that helps!

Hi
Thank you very much for your response, it's really helpful, should I wait until enrollment day to change my a levels or should I contact the college?
Original post by lulucoco98
Just do 3 , u need 3, alevels are extremely difficult. 1 Alevel is difficult itself, but doing 4 is tragic

unis only look at 3 ,

cut yourself the hassle

Lolll, okay thanks. I'll do 3
Lolll, okay thanks. I'll do 3

One day you might come back to this thread and thank everyone telling you to do 3. Hahahaha
x

If you haven't seen it before, have a look at https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/comparisontool/ which shows you what each medical school asks for. For example, Brighton & Sussex like your third A-level to be a humanties subject.

EDIT: And e.g. Liverpool want a fourth AS.
(edited 7 years ago)
A doctor has told me that the better universities are now leaning towards people who do humanities and languages as well as science for their A Levels because they think it adds culture to a person. I think he told me that doing English is also seen as really good so you don't really need to do 3. If you do four and then if Spanish just adds too much to the workload then you'll end up slacking in all your subjects. Always better to choose three that you'll definitely do well in as it's a good foundation
Original post by ageshallnot
If you haven't seen it before, have a look at https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/comparisontool/ which shows you what each medical school asks for. For example, Brighton & Sussex like your third A-level to be a humanties subject.

EDIT: And e.g. Liverpool want a fourth AS.

Isn't that old? Most a levels are linear so there wouldn't be an AS?

Good point - it probably reflects the current situation. I shall copy in @The Medic Portal to see what the latest might be...
Hi
Thank you very much for your response, it's really helpful, should I wait until enrollment day to change my a levels or should I contact the college?

I really don't know unfortunately.. Is it a sixth form college you're going to? It would probably be best to contact them if you're not sure .. Sorry I can't be more help!
Original post by Gym&Tonic
I really don't know unfortunately.. Is it a sixth form college you're going to? It would probably be best to contact them if you're not sure .. Sorry I can't be more help!

Okay thank you
Original post by ageshallnot
Good point - it probably reflects the current situation. I shall copy in @The Medic Portal to see what the latest might be...

Hi there, all the information on our Comparison Tool is updated for 2016/2017 Medicine applications :smile:

Where you might see references to AS levels, it's because some universities are asking four a fourth AS if your school offers AS levels.

We actually phoned up all the UK medical schools and asked their admissions offices whether they will be considering AS levels. You can see what they said in this table here.

Hope you find the above useful!

The Medic Portal
Aaww man, KCL stated they want a fourth AS and the college I'm going to has a very good reputation of sending a large number of their students to KCL for medicine, would it count if I took the EPQ? Or woulr that count as half an AS?
Aaww man, KCL stated they want a fourth AS and the college I'm going to has a very good reputation of sending a large number of their students to KCL for medicine, would it count if I took the EPQ? Or woulr that count as half an AS?

I doubt very much whether King's would count an EPQ as equivalent to a fourth AS, but you can try asking them.

If not, either don't apply there or suck it up and take four subjects to AS and then drop either Spanish or English Lit.

Quick Reply

Latest