The Student Room Group

Have I got enough UCAS points for a uni course?

Ive recently finished my apprenticeship (Btec level 3 in operational engineering and an NVQ level 3 in mechanical maintenance) in addition I have also completed a HNC in operations engineering. my intensions have not always been to strive towards a degree but with my current employer moving the location of my site abroad I feel it may be a good time to push for it. I have tried to contact my college and my old training officer both are not very helpful. Doing a bit of research I understand that not all universities will except my qualifications as entry to the courses I want to achieve (mechanical engineering) I have also found the UCAS website to be useless so can anyone help me? is University even a possibility with my qualifications or should I just find another job?
Original post by AlexL2603
Ive recently finished my apprenticeship (Btec level 3 in operational engineering and an NVQ level 3 in mechanical maintenance) in addition I have also completed a HNC in operations engineering. my intensions have not always been to strive towards a degree but with my current employer moving the location of my site abroad I feel it may be a good time to push for it. I have tried to contact my college and my old training officer both are not very helpful. Doing a bit of research I understand that not all universities will except my qualifications as entry to the courses I want to achieve (mechanical engineering) I have also found the UCAS website to be useless so can anyone help me? is University even a possibility with my qualifications or should I just find another job?

Do you have GCSE's? I would email some universities asking them what they think about your qualifications. I think it is likely some universities will accept you directly onto mechanical engineering courses, and I expect many will accept you onto courses with a foundation year.
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
Do you have GCSE's? I would email some universities asking them what they think about your qualifications. I think it is likely some universities will accept you directly onto mechanical engineering courses, and I expect many will accept you onto courses with a foundation year.

yes plenty of GCSE's I think off the top of my head I have about 9/10 between grade A-C and okay I will attempt to email some universities and see what they respond with.
Reply 3
Original post by AlexL2603

I'm not 100% sure but I think an HNC is equivalent to the first year of a degree. This may affect your student finance.

Although you get a "gift" year so you should be ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest