The Student Room Group

Aeronautical engineering degree and a part time job?

Hi, I'm planning on studying aeronautical engineering at university after I finish my A-levels and I'm currently in year 12 with a part-time job working around 10 hours a week. I'm finding it tough enough with the hours on top of my work and I was wondering what it would be like with the work load at university. So would it be possible and if it is how would it affect my study?
Original post by dgkjhl
Hi, I'm planning on studying aeronautical engineering at university after I finish my A-levels and I'm currently in year 12 with a part-time job working around 10 hours a week. I'm finding it tough enough with the hours on top of my work and I was wondering what it would be like with the work load at university. So would it be possible and if it is how would it affect my study?

Sure, but try and keep it to the weekend if possible. I wouldn't advise that you have any hours during 9-5 Mon-Fri, as that's when lectures and labs will take place, and when you have breaks during this time it's probably better to be studying.

If you're working in the evenings, it's probably not a good idea to be working late before an early start the next day, and don't go overboard on the hours. Your primary focus should be on your studies, but if you need to do some hours to make ends meet, that's fine.
Original post by dgkjhl

Hey,

Just to echo some of Smack's points, your main focus is on studying and doing well through university. There will be a step up in both difficulty and work load from high school to university, but it is still completely manageable, it's mainly a different work ethic.

I have had, and many friends doing Aero have had, part time jobs. If you're organised and keep on top of work you should have no issues, you just may end up spending longer days working or working more on the weekends. In my 3rd year of Aero I had a part time job where I worked at least 20 hours per week, if you find a good balance and routine, you'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
Aeronautical Engineering - School of Engineering
To offer a different point of view it will depend on the university. I know about 100 of the 160 people on my aero course in my year fairly well and I can only think of 1 with a part time job and they desperately needed it, the course at Sheffield is just too intense to sustain the extracurricular stuff plus a part time job (because our course as a whole is very involved, if someone wasn't part of a society or two, with a good social life, maybe doing a language as well, then it would be abnormal). You'd be available for maybe 20 weeks of term time because the other 10 you've got assignments and exams so that might be pushing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending