Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my application approved this year (3rd year applying).
    I'll be getting a maintenance grant and maintenance loan.

I submitted a PFF2 form for parents household income 2 years ago. I assumed I was getting a maintenance grant and not a maintenance loan.
    I only realized this year (after submitting another PFF2 form) that the previous 2 years (foundation year and first year BSC), I was getting a maintenance loan (~£3k each year -> ~£6k in total) as opposed to a maintenance grant.

Can I get those maintenance loans from the previous 2 years changed into maintenance grants?

Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    The maximum maintenance grant is just over £3k per year and is based on household income. I'm not entirely sure what you mean about changing the the loan into a grant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    The maximum maintenance grant is just over £3k per year and is based on household income. I'm not entirely sure what you mean about changing the the loan into a grant.
    I started my course in 2014/2015 (First Year).
    I have been paid a Maintenance Loan of £3k. No grant, even though a PFF2 & household application form were sent. Hence I assumed I was getting a grant.
    PFF2 = Under £15k from both my parents (combined was below £25k)
    Yes I know I should have followed up confirming whether I was getting a grant or loan this year.

Second year - 2015/2016.
    I have been paid a Maintenance Loan of £3k. No grant. The form was automatically done by student finance, I just signed & sent in the declaration form.

Third year - 2016/2017
    I send in another PFF2 & household application form for 2016/2017 because I wanted to live out this year.
    My application has been approved and I wil be getting £3k Grant. £6k Maintenance Loan.

I'm eligible for grants but didn't receive any from the previous years, so I'm wondering whether I can change previous years Maintenance Loans into Grants (don't have to pay back).
    I spoke with Student Finance and they said I can only do that for my previous year (2015/2016) as 9 months hasn't passed since I started my 2015/2016 course, therefore I can still change the application to household income for that year. So I sent the household income application for 2015/2016 yesterday (first class- recorded).
    They told me once they receive my evidence, I will get paid additional money (~£3k Maintenance grant) for 2015/2016, but I can't change Maintenance Loan into Maintenance Grant because I've already been paid the Maintenance Loan.
    This doesn't make much sense to me. Couldn't they simply change the details to Grant instead of Loan?
    I should still be entitled to more Grant money (around £400 more) if they did that though.

However, they said I can't do anything about the 2014/2015 year now...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.