Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am after advice on how to make the above career change with minimum impact on the family and our income.

    I am 33, with 2 young kids and a wife. I work a fulltime shift job as a fitter. My highest qualification is a Health and Safety Diploma and I have a cat C license. I served 10 years in the TA, completing operational tours of Iraq and Afghanistan. I miss the warm fuzzy feeling that doing a job worth doing gave me. The change will mean earning a lot less than I do now but that is a price I am prepared to pay for a job that will offer more rewards than just £££££.

    The sticking point is how to get relevant qualifications and experiences while still doing my full time shift job?

    Has anybody here made such a drastic career change?
    Any advice or opinions to share?
    Advice on online courses or books to read?

    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    If you read this you'll find most of your questions answered already

    Hi there am guessing you want to become a paramedic? Am a qualified nurse and the paramedics iv come into contact with said they either got work experience as a non emergency ambulance driver like taking them to appointments etc and some were HCAs. Also so tho there was a guy that was an electrician! Lol he was 46 suddenly wanted a career change. I would look into the non emergency side of the ambulance for some healthcare experience because you have you c1. Also another thing iv noticed is ambulance services starting to advertise their own student paramedic posts which would mean you would get paid a salary while learning so contact your local ambulance station too.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.