The Student Room Group

Minimum GCSE grades to study medicine?

Will 11 A's at GCSE be good enough to apply to most med schools? Thanks
Depends on what subjects they are then what you do at A Level and what grades you get but you definitely aren't out of the running this early
Reply 2
Original post by robyn2000

It all depends on which medical school you consider applying too. In my opinion that is a strong number and would meet the majority whereas some would not consider you due to no A*'s. GCSE's make a small but important part of your application. Your A levels, PS, UKCAT/BMAT will also influence your application. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 06shawm
It all depends on which medical school you consider applying too. In my opinion that is a strong number and would meet the majority whereas some would not consider you due to no A*'s. GCSE's make a small but important part of your application. Your A levels, PS, UKCAT/BMAT will also influence your application. :smile:

Thank you for replying! I was on for a few A*'s, but exams aren't going as well as I thought so I am lowering my expectations so I'm not disappointed! I am planning on taking chemistry, biology, maths and phycology at A level, which is what most unis require. Thanks so much again!
Reply 4
Thank you for replying! I was on for a few A*'s, but exams aren't going as well as I thought so I am lowering my expectations so I'm not disappointed! I am planning on taking chemistry, biology, maths and phycology at A level, which is what most unis require. Thanks so much again!

No problem, I am sure you've done absolutely fine so don't put yourself down.

Good luck!

You know, at first glance when I read this I thought it said 11A*, haha.

11A is great, but you should still keep away from Kings,Oxford,Birmingham etc.

Universities such as Imperial doesn't take into account GCSEs anymore for medicine, and other universities such as Brighton and Sussex, Lancaster, Southampton, Durham, Newcastle don't consider GCSEs above 5A including English, maths and science any further, so someone with 5A will be equal to someone with 11A* at GCSE. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Whichever grades you end up getting.... DO NOT GO TO KING'S COLLEGE - my dad works at the hospital (not the medical school) and he says the med school is very badly managed

Quick Reply

Latest