(AS) OCR Chemistry salters depth paper (10/6/16)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the paper? I have no idea but it was better than the breadth paper for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stm_)
    How did everyone find the paper? I have no idea but it was better than the breadth paper for sure
    I thought it was good the branched carboxylic acid was a bit mean and the pV=nRT question was also a bit mean with all the units

ReputationRep:
    I did my enthalpy profile diagram the wrong way!! I'm so DUMBBB! The rest of it was okay though. How many marks do you think I've lost for that question? I am so annoyed at myself for getting it wrong!!!
    Also what did you guys get for the structure at the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliyah99)
    I did my enthalpy profile diagram the wrong way!! I'm so DUMBBB! The rest of it was okay though. How many marks do you think I've lost for that question? I am so annoyed at myself for getting it wrong!!!
    methylpropanoic acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisha.marsh)
    methylpropanoic acid
    Oops :/

I got ethyl ethanoate (ester). What's the difference regarding IR spectra and mass spectra? They both have the same molecular formula.

ReputationRep:
    What enthalpy profile diagram? Did I miss a page or something?

Edit: oh, you mean the Hess cycle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesinatr)
    What enthalpy profile diagram? Did I miss a page or something?

Edit: oh, you mean the Hess cycle?
    Yeah that one! But I just looked in book and I thiink I just drew the arrow going downwards instead of upwards so not as bad as I thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisha.marsh)
    methylpropanoic acid
    Yeahh I got that too! But I didn't name it though :/ oops,

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I got that too! But I didn't name it though :/ oops,
    I just googled the name

The specification says we don't need to be able to name esters, carboxylic acids, acid anhydrides etc, so a structural formula and the word 'ester' should be fine I would guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that one! But I just looked in book and I thiink I just drew the arrow going downwards instead of upwards so not as bad as I thought!
    Wait, what was the question? I thought they gave you combustion and asked you to work out formation, so aren't the arrows supposed to point downwards?

ReputationRep:
    I just googled the name

The specification says we don't need to be able to name esters, carboxylic acids, acid anhydrides etc, so a structural formula and the word 'ester' should be fine I would guess.
    Okay that's alright then. But I thought it was a carboxylic acid not an ester?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, what was the question? I thought they gave you combustion and asked you to work out formation, so aren't the arrows supposed to point downwards?
    Ohh noo I wasn't talking about the Hess's cycle, it was the enthalpy profile diagram.

ReputationRep:
    Also Jamesinatr when did you have to work out the enthalpy change of formation? I do not remember a question on that!?

ReputationRep:
    Also Jamesinatr when did you have to work out the enthalpy change of formation? I do not remember a question on that!?
    I probably misread it or forgot the question then, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Okay that's alright then. But I thought it was a carboxylic acid not an ester?
    I guess it is then. Do you remember what the IR peak was?

ReputationRep:
    Oops :/

I got ethyl ethanoate (ester). What's the difference regarding IR spectra and mass spectra? They both have the same molecular formula.
    I got ethyl ethanoate as well

ReputationRep:
    For an O-H bond, does the peak always have to be broad because it wasn't in the last question

ReputationRep:
    I guess it is then. Do you remember what the IR peak was?
    I found the c=o peak and the o-h peak I don't remember the exact numbers but it was in the range on the formula sheet.

ReputationRep:
    I found the c=o peak and the o-h peak I don't remember the exact numbers but it was in the range on the formula sheet.
    The o-h peak should have been broad then but it was not. I found no o-h peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua98)
    The o-h peak should have been broad then but it was not. I found no o-h peak.
    Same, because it said in brackets it should be broad that's why I got a C=H (c-h?) bond instead

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.