Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(AS) OCR Chemistry salters depth paper (10/6/16) Watch

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the paper? I have no idea but it was better than the breadth paper for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stm_)
    How did everyone find the paper? I have no idea but it was better than the breadth paper for sure
    I thought it was good the branched carboxylic acid was a bit mean and the pV=nRT question was also a bit mean with all the units

ReputationRep:
    I did my enthalpy profile diagram the wrong way!! I'm so DUMBBB! The rest of it was okay though. How many marks do you think I've lost for that question? I am so annoyed at myself for getting it wrong!!!
    Also what did you guys get for the structure at the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliyah99)
    I did my enthalpy profile diagram the wrong way!! I'm so DUMBBB! The rest of it was okay though. How many marks do you think I've lost for that question? I am so annoyed at myself for getting it wrong!!!
    methylpropanoic acid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisha.marsh)
    methylpropanoic acid
    Oops :/

I got ethyl ethanoate (ester). What's the difference regarding IR spectra and mass spectra? They both have the same molecular formula.

ReputationRep:
    What enthalpy profile diagram? Did I miss a page or something?

Edit: oh, you mean the Hess cycle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesinatr)
    What enthalpy profile diagram? Did I miss a page or something?

Edit: oh, you mean the Hess cycle?
    Yeah that one! But I just looked in book and I thiink I just drew the arrow going downwards instead of upwards so not as bad as I thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisha.marsh)
    methylpropanoic acid
    Yeahh I got that too! But I didn't name it though :/ oops,

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I got that too! But I didn't name it though :/ oops,
    I just googled the name

The specification says we don't need to be able to name esters, carboxylic acids, acid anhydrides etc, so a structural formula and the word 'ester' should be fine I would guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that one! But I just looked in book and I thiink I just drew the arrow going downwards instead of upwards so not as bad as I thought!
    Wait, what was the question? I thought they gave you combustion and asked you to work out formation, so aren't the arrows supposed to point downwards?

ReputationRep:
    I just googled the name

The specification says we don't need to be able to name esters, carboxylic acids, acid anhydrides etc, so a structural formula and the word 'ester' should be fine I would guess.
    Okay that's alright then. But I thought it was a carboxylic acid not an ester?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, what was the question? I thought they gave you combustion and asked you to work out formation, so aren't the arrows supposed to point downwards?
    Ohh noo I wasn't talking about the Hess's cycle, it was the enthalpy profile diagram.

ReputationRep:
    Also Jamesinatr when did you have to work out the enthalpy change of formation? I do not remember a question on that!?

ReputationRep:
    Also Jamesinatr when did you have to work out the enthalpy change of formation? I do not remember a question on that!?
    I probably misread it or forgot the question then, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Okay that's alright then. But I thought it was a carboxylic acid not an ester?
    I guess it is then. Do you remember what the IR peak was?

ReputationRep:
    Oops :/

I got ethyl ethanoate (ester). What's the difference regarding IR spectra and mass spectra? They both have the same molecular formula.
    I got ethyl ethanoate as well

ReputationRep:
    For an O-H bond, does the peak always have to be broad because it wasn't in the last question

ReputationRep:
    I guess it is then. Do you remember what the IR peak was?
    I found the c=o peak and the o-h peak I don't remember the exact numbers but it was in the range on the formula sheet.

ReputationRep:
    I found the c=o peak and the o-h peak I don't remember the exact numbers but it was in the range on the formula sheet.
    The o-h peak should have been broad then but it was not. I found no o-h peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua98)
    The o-h peak should have been broad then but it was not. I found no o-h peak.
    Same, because it said in brackets it should be broad that's why I got a C=H (c-h?) bond instead

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.