Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What happens to official ENGLISH if we pull out of the EU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently the EU has official English speaking sites eg ECHA in Finland:

http://echa.europa.eu/

What happens if we pull out?

Will English still be a "main" EU language like French and German?

I guess not.

Will we therefore, need to speak French or German if we leave the EU if we want to get an average EU job?

Currently English normally is OK , but on leave I expect not.

Will this cause trouble for Brexit?

ReputationRep:
    maybe Latin will become the new Lingua Franca, as it was in previous years :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they'd change it. Most countries in Europe teach English as a second language from a young age, and most Europeans speak better English than most people in the UK.

If anything, we'd need to start teaching a second language in primary school, because we'd no longer be a part of a trade bloc that bends over backwards to accommodate our lazy attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I don't see why they'd change it. Most countries in Europe teach English as a second language from a young age, and most Europeans speak better English than most people in the UK.

If anything, we'd need to start teaching a second language in primary school, because we'd no longer be a part of a trade bloc that bends over backwards to accommodate our lazy attitude.
    Why would the EU have official ENGLISH ONLY sites (eg echa) if we pull out? These sites were created for BRITISH PEOPLE to feel comfortable coming to the EU to get jobs.

If we pull out surely they would all go GERMAN or FRENCH???

Why on earth would a Frenchman and a german carry on speaking english to one another when they can talk in their own languages instead?

I don't think you understand what "pressure" is.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't expect official English only sites, but I would guess that English would remain a fairly important language - although it wouldn't be the first language of any of the countries, it is widely spoken in them and could be useful as a Lingua Franca?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    Currently the EU has official English speaking sites eg ECHA in Finland:

http://echa.europa.eu/

What happens if we pull out?

Will English still be a "main" EU language like French and German?

I guess not.

Will we therefore, need to speak French or German if we leave the EU if we want to get an average EU job?

Currently English normally is OK , but on leave I expect not.

Will this cause trouble for Brexit?
    Why? English is the world's language mainly because the USA are the world's superpower and because of the many former colonies of the British empire. Nothing would change if we pull out of the bureaucratic EU

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.