Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i'm going through my gcse exams atm, and after every exam i just feel extremely stressed and anxious, that i've done something wrong or that i messed up an answer. I'm very scared for results day, because people, especially family friends will ask what i got in my results. And their children always get like 8 A*s and they are always comparing each other, saying that these exams will affect your future, and if you get C or B grades that's not enough. which i think is not a good thing because it only lowers your self confidence. every one is different, and we have different capabilities. How do i stop thinking about this? how do i move on? and just believe that i've done good in exams.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i hate those kind of people too, keep blabbing on about its importance, like thats none of your concern. blank them when they say things like that, theyre trying your nerves and you shouldnt let them ! :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    B grades are enough, plenty enough. It's easy to compare yourself to others, both my siblings got 13 A*s in their GCSEs, meanwhile there's me at a mediocre comp who got 10Bs, 1A and 2Cs.

What I do is whenever I'm stressed is that I watch this video, it's really strange but it seriously helps. If you're put off by the video, I'd imagine that any calming vieo would have the same effect. I suppose the thing for me is that I have mild insomnia and crippling (sometimes) anxiety so both impact negatively on my sleep patterns, particularly during study leave when there's nothing except for the occasional event to get up for. Sometimes on days before exams, I can't get to sleep until a couple of hours before the exam even if I'm in bed for 10. I measured it, I do 20% better in afternoon exams.
    If anxiety is affecting your revision though, what I do is go to the library and sit in comfy chairs listening to me speaking aloud my notes. This really helps because throughout the whole period, I'm not forcing myself to do something out of what I'd normally do (talking and sitting down). In my experience, taking anxiety meds really doesn't help with your exam performance so try to control it in your own time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeGc3wympys

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice bro ;-D

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly the same during my GCSEs. My school had put so much pressure on my year to do well (i.e. at least 6 As), and I know a lot of people didn't fare too well from the stress. I had a panic attack before my P1 exam, but I had no intention of carrying Physics further than GCSE. :confused:

GCSEs are useful for getting into sixth form. They don't really hold much importance beyond that. Employers may look for good grades (at least a C) in English and Maths, but I doubt that in 20 years anyone will care if you got a D in Food Tech. At the end of the day, as long as you try your best, that's all that matters. Try to ignore the hysterical people who think the world will end if they don't get all A*s. Good luck with the rest of your exams kiddo <3

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.