Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm looking at Comp Sci as a backup, and due to personal reasons, I can't really go find work experience for my personal statement. I am in Year 12

I'm most likely going to get at least AAAB at AS so A2 predicted will probably be A*AA based on what my teachers have said too, so I don't think grades are an issue based on the universities I have looked at e.g. Nottingham and KCL. My GCSE grades are 5A* 4A and a B

I do Computer Science, Maths, Physics, and Biology. The only language I know is Python and I wouldn't say I'm AMAZING at it, but I can certainly work independently and go beyond the A-Level specification. I am planning to learn at least two more languages and get it up to a decent standard by Sept/Oct.

Would I be able to just rely on my grades (Which I know aren't even that good compared to most people on TSR) to get into a Computer Science course? Preferably one with an intercalated MEng or a MSci?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes. For the vast majority of subjects you don't need any work experience at all to get into university. Your grades are fine, make sure you write a good personal statement and you have every chance of getting in. If you don't get in, it certainly won't be because you lack work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Yes. For the vast majority of subjects you don't need any work experience at all to get into university. Your grades are fine, make sure you write a good personal statement and you have every chance of getting in. If you don't get in, it certainly won't be because you lack work experience.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    CS is the kind of subject you can learn by yourself a fair amount.
    No work experience? No problem in CS!

Here are some ideas:

Read a book on a CS topic which you think you might find interesting. Find a way to apply what you learnt, for example writing a small project. Find whether or not the university you want to study at covers it.
    Besides your interest in CS, you can say you have other interests in a certain topic which you read. (This makes your PS more personal, because they get to know you, they get to know your tastes, and they see you are curious)
    Not only talk about how you applied that knowledge, but talk about the process and how you went about it. You can then talk about how you want to deepen your knowledge in subject X at university.

Want to kill two birds with one stone? There are loads of computing maths competitions or programming (usually algorithms) where one has to write code to solve a problem to do with algorithm design or something. See if you can participate in one.
    Not only does this show you have a good mathematical aptitude, but it also shows interest in Computing, but it is also something that top CS universities like. Enter a competition, imagine you are lucky and you win a first prize or something, you can even brag about it...

The opportunities are endless. You just have to be imaginative and proactive.

Going out and looking for your own opportunities to expand your knowledge in a field is what will make you stand out from your usual CS student who learnt a language and built a simple calculator.
    It is the difference between someone from a top university to someone average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incongruous)
    CS is the kind of subject you can learn by yourself a fair amount.
    No work experience? No problem in CS!

Here are some ideas:

Read a book on a CS topic which you think you might find interesting. Find a way to apply what you learnt, for example writing a small project. Find whether or not the university you want to study at covers it.
    Besides your interest in CS, you can say you have other interests in a certain topic which you read. (This makes your PS more personal, because they get to know you, they get to know your tastes, and they see you are curious)
    Not only talk about how you applied that knowledge, but talk about the process and how you went about it. You can then talk about how you want to deepen your knowledge in subject X at university.

Want to kill two birds with one stone? There are loads of computing maths competitions or programming (usually algorithms) where one has to write code to solve a problem to do with algorithm design or something. See if you can participate in one.
    Not only does this show you have a good mathematical aptitude, but it also shows interest in Computing, but it is also something that top CS universities like. Enter a competition, imagine you are lucky and you win a first prize or something, you can even brag about it...

The opportunities are endless. You just have to be imaginative and proactive.

Going out and looking for your own opportunities to expand your knowledge in a field is what will make you stand out from your usual CS student who learnt a language and built a simple calculator.
    It is the difference between someone from a top university to someone average.
    Thanks! Sounds like I will be busy this summer haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.