The Student Room Group

What should I study in summer between 2nd and 3rd year?

I'm thinking of studying (should I revise my 1st and 2nd year stuff to get a better foundation or try to learn new things for the upcoming 3rd year?)
Reply 1
I would say relax for a bit firstly, I've just finished 2nd year too and I'm tired of studying now, so relax, but when you start studying I would say review 1st and 2nd year material, you can have a look at the material for 3rd year but I think its better to have a stronger foundation.
Original post by Airess3
I'm thinking of studying (should I revise my 1st and 2nd year stuff to get a better foundation or try to learn new things for the upcoming 3rd year?)

You should be getting some work experience, unless you want to stay on an do an MA & Phd you will need the work experience to get a job after uni.
Original post by Airess3

Between 2nd and 3rd year I learned how to draw (sort of)
Original post by Airess3

Have a think about your option choices and whether that's a thing that you really need to do.

For example, out of my 10 modules in the third year, only 2 of them follow on from one unit (the same one for both) so realistically, that's the only thing I should be brushing up on - I'll just go through the notes once more. I also have access to this year's notes for two units in the first semester so I'll try to get through them before I arrive at uni. It is slightly overkill, but I need to do really well in my last year :tongue:
Original post by jelly1000
You should be getting some work experience, unless you want to stay on an do an MA & Phd you will need the work experience to get a job after uni.

Agreed. No work experience = no job, regardless of what class degree you have.
If you want to revise I'd just revise content from the first 2 years that directly feed into your modules for next year (especially if you didn't do so well in a relevant 2nd year module). I wouldn't really bother to start learning any new material unless one of your modules is going in a slightly different direction and they won't cover the basics in the actual lectures.

Also if you're doing a humanities/non lab based dissertation maybe start thinking about that.
Maybe get a head start on your dissertation (think of a good topic/plan etc) but other than that I wouldn't revise past topics as they may not come up again and I wouldn't get a head start on next years stuff as you don't know where the focus will be so you might waste your time.

Work experience is a much better idea.
Excellent advice about getting started on your dissertation, review modules that continue and gaining some work experience. Don't forget you need a break too at some point - you need to balance in a bit of R+R otherwise you run the risk of burning out....

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Work, travel, clear your head. A couple days of revision won't take up the whole summer. You're about to join the 'real world' - enjoy being a student while you can.
As others have said, work experience is your friend. You will need it to stand out from the crowd, and to be honest for the more competitive jobs you will need it just to be a part of the crowd rather than an instant reject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending