Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since this seems to be a hot topic for quite a few users on the forum, I thought I'd report on something I read recently:

Click Me!

ReputationRep:
    I will explain this in some way.

It is an idealogical gap.

When I stroll through Padiham, a small town off Burnley, I see hundreds of people living in poverty - small, poor accomodation, cheap clothes, no car, few luxuries, poor dental care.

But they are happy!

This is the life they want - they care not for material things, they care for friendship and achieveing happiness - and they have achieved it.

Happiness for them is hard for many of us to understand, but as they are happy, why would they wish to move up the career ladder so they can buy (invest?) in M & S quilted toilet paper?

ReputationRep:
    You often refuted that the gap isn't big, though. By saying:

"The North has 8 of the most affluent areas, etc"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    You often refuted that the gap isn't big, though. By saying:

"The North has 8 of the most affluent areas, etc"
    Well I have realised this was misguided. Indeed there are pockets - enlargening pockets - of affluence, but I realise now I know and am related to those below this poverty line but I didn't realise, I didn't expect those in poverty to be so happy. Many Northeners do not want to make lots of money, it's just a state of mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Well I have realised this was misguided. Indeed there are pockets - enlargening pockets - of affluence, but I realise now I know and am related to those below this poverty line but I didn't realise, I didn't expect those in poverty to be so happy. Many Northeners do not want to make lots of money, it's just a state of mind.
    I agree. Often happiness is achieved in poverty.

This thread is mainly in reaction to the whole: "I need to justify why the North is so great" attitude. This, in combination with refusal to acknowledge anything Southern, has baffled me.

ReputationRep:
    It's hardly suprising, the South, mainly London and the Home Counties receive the most money and interest from investors and people. London acts as a primate city in and around which the whole country functions, everywhere else doesn't really compare in terms of size. Although there are a substantial number of deprived areas of London, the middle class richer folk live on the periphery, they can dip in and out of the city but not put up with any of the negative aspects.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester for example has lost 11,000 people due to the cenus figures being wrong. This was only corrected after the report was being produced. So a lot of it crap. I don't live in porverty, I have good education and health care availible near me and most my neighbours have lived well into their 80's.

There are plenty of very afluent parts of the North.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Manchester for example has lost 11,000 people due to the cenus figures being wrong. This was only corrected after the report was being produced. So a lot of it crap. I don't live in porverty, I have good education and health care availible near me and most my neighbours have lived well into their 80's.

For example Edinburgh. If you count it as being in "The North".

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter which of the North or the South is more affluent though. Our concern (as a nation) should be that everyone in the nation enjoys a decent standard of living, not whether London is richer than Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    It doesn't really matter which of the North or the South is more affluent though. Our concern (as a nation) should be that everyone in the nation enjoys a decent standard of living, not whether London is richer than Liverpool.
    But most the governments spends their money on the south east. The North West wants its own parliment (like the Welsh Assembly) because we are sick to death of major decisions about our local area being made in Whitehall.

Its looking like the new assembly will be granted as well, this may help split the divide.

Even in the poorest council estates in the North standards are not what you would call 'poverty' although they may not be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    But that's the thing, there is a clear imbalance between North and South, and yes if everone is happy then that's wonderful, but really people should get the same opportunites wherever they are, but that's life. It's only relative poverty which is bad compared with the Western world, but at least they've got something.

ReputationRep:
    But most the governments spends their money on the south east. The North West wants its own parliment (like the Welsh Assembly) because we are sick to death of major decisions about our local area being made in Whitehall.
    And you propose that this would really work ? I don't think it would because any major decision would still be Whitehall's, and local Councils are there to make local decisions. Moreover, there is too much scope for laziness and corruption in a local scheme, imo.

Even in the poorest council estates in the North standards are not what you would call 'poverty' although they may not be nice.
    That's why i said 'decent' and not poor. More should be done to make people happy, and i think it is accepted by most that some people will always be more affluent than others, perhaps because of intelligence, marriage, chance or inheritence or whatever. So the aim is to make people both happy and sustainable in their homes, surely ?

ReputationRep:
    Well, the thing is, it's all very well saying I don't want to be filthy rich I'm happy being poor and northern, but I'm certainly not happy with poor education, poor healthcare, more crime etc etc. I don't want to be twice as likely as a southerner to die of cancer because I simply live up north.

ReputationRep:
    What are the reasons for the north south divide?

I think that the north can be rather bureaucratic when it comes to local government. I think that's a problem. I think central government unfairly allocates resources to the south east. Also, is it a simple case of the economic multiplier? As an economy grows, the rate at which it grows also grows? Ie. exponential growth. So in very simple economics, in order to truly eliminate the divide, you'd have to try and artificially refocus growth on the north, until it was the same size as the south and so was able to grow at the same rate. But obviously that's going to be a horridly received idea, and so it should be. Also, there are some development theories that say that economic growth focused on a single conurbation will ultimately benefit the entire economy more than an attempt to develop all regions in unison, I think.

ReputationRep:

Erm... No. Admit that there is a gap.

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with a gap?

"On the maps shown here, the UK is looking more and more like a city-state. It is a kingdom united only by history, increasingly divided by its geography."

united only by history? i cant think of any reason to believe that. on the other hand, these are far more sensible comments in my opinion.

The government has been trying to attract businesses to the North and several cities have undergone regeneration projects.

Yvette Cooper, minister for regeneration and social exclusion, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The divide used to be characterised by high unemployment rates and by economic decline in a lot of the northern regions.

"That's changed and it's changed already because we're seeing now economic growth taking place in every region

"London has large chunks of poverty, including the UK's poorest boroughs - Hackney and Tower Hamlets, which have become almost 10% poorer since 1991. "

ReputationRep:
    You would have thought that under Labour, who have a large number of MPs in the north, things would have changed i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    You would have thought that under Labour, who have a large number of MPs in the north, things would have changed i
    I think they are, but it takes time for policies to take effect. The loss of UK Industry has badly affected the North.

ReputationRep:
    Its all very general though. Where I live for example 52% (2001 cencus) of the population are graduates, health care is average for the UK, house prices are easly on par with an average southern town and well above the UK average, (some 2 bed terraces can fetch more than £200k) and there is a lot of good schools but also some bad ones.

The divide is just a very general thing because there are more poor areas up north. It dosn't mean they are all like that. The average life expency for male is Manchester is about 65 but 30 out 33 wards are classed as innercity, if you live in one of the none innercity areas you will find life expency is much higher.

You can live up north and have a very high quality of life. Also the BBC are planning to move 1/3 of their company to Manchester thus taking a lot of jobs out of London, Birmingham and Bristol which will help matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Erm... No. Admit that there is a gap.
    Can I ask you a question have you ever been up north and if so when? I haven't denied there is a gap, there is, but its not as wide as reports like to make out.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.