Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

North-South divide widening! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Can I ask you a question have you ever been up north and if so when? I haven't denied there is a gap, there is, but its not as wide as reports like to make out.
    Even if you've lived both north and south of the country I don't think anyone can really assess the gap accuratley since there are differences in different areas.. so I would generally put more credit on these reports than on a mere opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Even if you've lived both north and south of the country I don't think anyone can really assess the gap accuratley since there are differences in different areas.. so I would generally put more credit on these reports than on a mere opinion.
    But they are missleading which is what annoys me, if you go into parts of Cheshire and Greater Manchester they have swimming pools in the gardens etc. I was recently doing leaflets in Didsbury, there were 2 bed room coronation street houses (worth almost £300k) and brand new porches outside.

Maybe outside of Manchester there is a lot of perverty I don't know (apart from Manchester's innercities which are poor, but then so are London's.

ReputationRep:
    But they are missleading which is what annoys me, if you go into parts of Cheshire and Greater Manchester they have swimming pools in the gardens etc. I was recently doing leaflets in Didsbury, there were 2 bed room coronation street houses (worth almost £300k) and brand new porches outside.

Maybe outside of Manchester there is a lot of perverty I don't know (apart from Manchester's innercities which are poor, but then so are London's.
    That's true, but I these reports are referring to a general North-South divide.. not a comparason between specific cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    That's true, but I these reports are referring to a general North-South divide.. not a comparason between specific cities.
    But the media twist it, on the BBC news they filmed a coach from Manchester at London's Victoria Coach Station, the report claimed all the people on the coach (a standard Megabus.com one) were moving to London from Manchester to escape poverty. If that was the case why are most my neighbours southerners including my dad?

My dads from Fulham a very wealthy part of London and he said he didn't really notice Manchester or the North being poorer but then I guess thats just an opinion,

I am not denying there is a gap, I just don't think its as big as certain London based media groups like to make out.

PS Sorry if I sound a bit rude, I don't mean to do, I am not trying to argue I am just having a friendly debate (I hope).

ReputationRep:
    I know my Dad and his family came up North to escape lots of debt, but that was nearly half a century ago.

ReputationRep:
    But the media twist it, on the BBC news they filmed a coach from Manchester at London's Victoria Coach Station, the report claimed all the people on the coach (a standard Megabus.com one) were moving to London from Manchester to escape poverty. If that was the case why are most my neighbours southerners including my dad?

My dads from Fulham a very wealthy part of London and he said he didn't really notice Manchester or the North being poorer but then I guess thats just an opinion,

I am not denying there is a gap, I just don't think its as big as certain London based media groups like to make out.

PS Sorry if I sound a bit rude, I don't mean to do, I am not trying to argue I am just having a friendly debate (I hope).

lol.. you don't sound rude so don't apologise, besides you have a right to defend your opinion .

To be honest, the only Northern cities I've had a real experience of are Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester and like London, they all have rich/poor areas. However I do agree that the media twists things, but the main report (by Sheffield Uni ) is based on facts. So ultimatley it depends on which people choose to base their opinion on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    lol.. you don't sound rude so don't apologise, besides you have a right to defend your opinion .

To be honest, the only Northern cities I've had a real experience of are Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester and like London, they all have rich/poor areas. However I do agree that the media twists things, but the main report (by Sheffield Uni ) is based on facts. So ultimatley it depends on which people choose to base their opinion on.
    Yeah the only thing about their facts is they used early outdated Census figures which were wrong, it has since been corrected but the statistics Shelfield used were the out of date ones. The other statistics were probably correct though.

The source is Manchester Evening News but the site is down at the moment:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask you a question have you ever been up north and if so when? I haven't denied there is a gap, there is, but its not as wide as reports like to make out.
    I thought you were ignoring me? You're not a 'man of his word', I take it.

Of course I've been up North. I've been to Leeds, Bradford, Liverpool, Blackpool, Newcastle, Scotland, etc. I have no problem with the North, and find the people up there very friendly (even if you get some ***** with inferiority complexes). I just find your obsession with it baffling, and sometimes, very entertaining!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I thought you were ignoring me? You're not a 'man of his word', I take it.

Of course I've been up North. I've been to Leeds, Bradford, Liverpool, Blackpool, Newcastle, Scotland, etc. I have no problem with the North, and find the people up there very friendly (even if you get some ***** with inferiority complexes). I just find your obsession with it baffling, and sometimes, very entertaining!
    I like to give people a second chance so you're off my ignore list for now. I just like to stick up for my part of the country and it annoys me when the southern based media groups tend to twist things.

I just find it amusing that some people genuinly believe that all of the north is poor and it seems some people to believe that.

ReputationRep:
    I like to give people a second chance so you're off my ignore list for now.
    Second chance? Lol....

ReputationRep:
    Second chance? Lol....
    I was a bit hasty ignoring you. I'm sorry I just easily get wound up at times. I am like a clockwork orange.

ReputationRep:
    Erm... No. Admit that there is a gap.
    I've lived North (Preston, Lancs) and South (Luton, Beds) and to be honest for quality of life I'd rather live in Preston any day.

You will not earn markedly more for working in Luton than in Preston yet the cost of living (if you can call it "living" in Luton is markedly more than it is in Preston.

The North is cleaner, cheaper, and equally if not better served than the grubby, overcrowded, rip off south.

Were I ever to return to England (fat chance) I'd have to stop drinking shandy and become an honory northern bloke. No more cockney ******sville for me.

ReputationRep:
    Why do southerners always prefer to believe stereotypes over facts? It does my head in, we're not all destitutes on the dole. Same as we're not workshy or stupid.
    I've been to London a few times because I have family living in Kent, I prefer the North, it is friendlier, cheaper and I feel more at home. I was treated like some sort of alien in Sa Coma because of my heavy scouse accent by southerners, you get the same old tired jokes as well "What do you call a scouser in suit?" :rolleyes:
    It's a concrete jungle dahhn safff, cars, traffic, overcrowded. Up North if you want to get away from the city the countryside is less than hours drive away.

ReputationRep:
    Do they have indoor toilets in the north? don't try and tell me they have en suietes - they're like another race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Six Dinners Sid)
    Do they have indoor toilets in the north? don't try and tell me they have en suietes - they're like another race.
    Toilets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally)
    Why do southerners always prefer to believe stereotypes over facts? It does my head in, we're not all destitutes on the dole. Same as we're not workshy or stupid.
    I've been to London a few times because I have family living in Kent, I prefer the North, it is friendlier, cheaper and I feel more at home. I was treated like some sort of alien in Sa Coma because of my heavy scouse accent by southerners, you get the same old tired jokes as well "What do you call a scouser in suit?" :rolleyes:
    It's a concrete jungle dahhn safff, cars, traffic, overcrowded. Up North if you want to get away from the city the countryside is less than hours drive away.
    Someone said that people not only make judgements on experience, but expectations, and the expectaions of society. So, even if 'southerners' have experienced life 'up norf' then SOME of them (not all by any means) will still revert back to the stereotypical view, because that is what 'their' subculture and they expect.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ally)
    Why do southerners always prefer to believe stereotypes over facts?
    And that isn't a stereotype? Or at the very least a groww generalisation.

I think you'll find that most people use stereotypes as a way of understanding the world - whever they happened to grow up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Six Dinners Sid)
    A little arrogant **** here aren't we?

My house was built in 1906, it had gas, elecricity, running hot and cold water, oh and an en suite bathroom from the day it was built.

I have never seen an out door toilet in my life.

ReputationRep:
    A little arrogant **** here aren't we?

My house was built in 1906, it had gas, elecricity, running hot and cold water, oh and an en suite bathroom from the day it was built.

I have never seen an out door toilet in my life.

I think the post was a little 'tongue-in-cheek'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally)
    That's complete rubbish. I live "dahhn saaff" and believe me, it's anything but a concrete jungle - and it certainly isn't overcrowded. Yes, some southerners make generalisations about the north, but you're being just as bad! I've met several northerners who think "everyone in the south is rich", just as I've met several sourtherners who think "everyone in the north is poor".

Why do people make out like London is the only place in the south of England? Just because you've been there doesn't mean you can judge what it's like for everybody. It's like assuming everyone up north lives in Manchester.

And another thing - where I live you can WALK to the countryside in less than 15 minutes from practically all the big towns and cities (although admittedly there aren't many of them), never mind driving for an hour!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.