The Student Room Group

Retaking in maths in November 2016 even if I don't fail

Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 sitting my GCSEs. I've done both of my maths exams now but I am disappointed in myself because it's very unlikely that I'll get an A. I'd like to retake maths in November because I need the A I know I'm capable of getting and because I need it for my A-level choice. Would it be possible to retake it even if I didn't fail? Will I be allowed? I have a feeling that I won't be. Please let me know thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sibanda00
Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 sitting my GCSEs. I've done both of my maths exams now but I am disappointed in myself because it's very unlikely that I'll get an A. I'd like to retake maths in November because I need the A I know I'm capable of getting and because I need it for my A-level choice. Would it be possible to retake it even if I didn't fail? Will I be allowed? I have a feeling that I won't be. Please let me know thank you

It would be up to your school or college and you would almost certainly have to pay but if they won't let you and you feel it is important then you could choose to do it as a private candidate elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, OMG I was thinking the same. I'm an A student and I think I may have scraped A* but if I get A or a mark off A*, I will be resitting it. I'm determined to get A* and I really have to. Anyway back to your question, I think it is allowed because my mum's manager has a daughter who got A in her maths but wanted A* so she re sat it. I think you have to let your teachers know from your current school but if you are moving schools for 6 form you have to let both schools know. Good luck! !!! Also i think you have to pay unless your teachers are determind that you will get the grade you want then they may pay
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
It would be up to your school or college and you would almost certainly have to pay but if they won't let you and you feel it is important then you could choose to do it as a private candidate elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply.Yeah I'm willing to pay to retake the exam. What I'm also having trouble with is doubts from that I'll be able to handle A-level maths if I wasn't confident during the GCSEs but I know I'm able to handle it when I focus on it during A-level. I have looked at past papers and I'm aware that it's going to be the most difficult thing I've done but I enjoy maths and I'm good at it, I've just been going through a hard time. So my second question is has anyone heard for someone starting an a-level course late? Please let me know thank youuu
Reply 4

I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths A-levels and feel like I am gonna end up with a C in Math while I need a B for my choices. If I do get a C I will be retaking in November as well to boost it up to an A/A*. Do you know if the June grade will be counted if you get less in November or will the retake be your final grade?
Original post by Tinka99
I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths A-levels and feel like I am gonna end up with a C in Math while I need a B for my choices. If I do get a C I will be retaking in November as well to boost it up to an A/A*. Do you know if the June grade will be counted if you get less in November or will the retake be your final grade?

The June grade will be counted if your November grade is lower :smile: however I'd rethink A Level maths if you are a B/C GCSE student, A*/A students find it difficult enough.
Reply 6
Original post by Tinka99

I may be wrong but I think you keep the grade you want? I'm really unsure though check with someone else just in case and do you or anyone else know when the November retake results would come?
Reply 7
Original post by Bethaaaaany
The June grade will be counted if your November grade is lower :smile: however I'd rethink A Level maths if you are a B/C GCSE student, A*/A students find it difficult enough.

Could I start A levels in the subjects I want to if I fail to get a B in June and retake in November? I am basically asking if I could start A levels when the results for the retakes come out? I could choose different subjects but I like the Sciences and thinking of choosing Maths or History as a fourth considering I do struggle in Maths.
To be honest, if you don't get an A (preferably an A*) at GCSE Maths AS probably isn't for you as a few people have already said. You keep the highest grade out of all the sittings so say (god forbid) you get a lower grade in November, you keep your June grade.

And yes you would probably have to go in as a private candidate, or get your college/sixth form to pay for it. AS Levels already take up a lot of time and squeezing in GCSE Maths may be a bit too much to do.

On the flip side, if you find yourself coping well with AS Maths, GCSE Maths will be a piece of piss :smile:
Original post by Tinka99
Could I start A levels in the subjects I want to if I fail to get a B in June and retake in November? I am basically asking if I could start A levels when the results for the retakes come out? I could choose different subjects but I like the Sciences and thinking of choosing Maths or History as a fourth considering I do struggle in Maths.

As it is, people who get an A, are advised to not take an A-Level in that subject at my school, unless there is no other option.

Unless there was no other choice, I would avoid taking a B subject.
Reply 10
On one hand, it's only a GCSE but you can retake as I got an A in my English Language and retook the exam as I wanted an A* (only to get another A!) You usually have to pay unless it's the school's decision for you to resit- this is generally if you fail.
Thanks for the reply.Yeah I'm willing to pay to retake the exam. What I'm also having trouble with is doubts from that I'll be able to handle A-level maths if I wasn't confident during the GCSEs but I know I'm able to handle it when I focus on it during A-level. I have looked at past papers and I'm aware that it's going to be the most difficult thing I've done but I enjoy maths and I'm good at it, I've just been going through a hard time. So my second question is has anyone heard for someone starting an a-level course late? Please let me know thank youuu

Starting A level maths late and then trying to catch up would be a nightmare. I strongly advise against it.
My normal advice to someone who struggles to get a B at GCSE would be don't even think of A level maths. To be honest, anything less than an A would be cause for concern. You need to be sure of what has held you back and certain you can deal with it. If you are sure your problems are behind you and you have an aptitude for maths, talk to your teachers about it and ask what you can do to prove you are up to it.
Not to mention the November papers are much harder!
Original post by sulaimanali
Not to mention the November papers are much harder!

Wasn't the case last year. June was way harder than November but the grade boundaries reflected this.
Original post by Certified
Wasn't the case last year. June was way harder than November but the grade boundaries reflected this.

True. But that could be a one-off. Normally, Nov papers are harder.
Original post by Tinka99

If you struggle in maths now, you will find AS maths really hard, I'm sorry :frown: I'll use myself as an example - I got an A* in GCSE maths (and studied it in one year) and a high B in GCSE further maths - I then got a high C at AS (I struggled awfully with mechanics).

I would recommend history as your fourth, especially as your other three subjects are quite intense. I did biology, chemistry, french and then maths at A Level so fairly similar choices to you.
Reply 16
basically I'm in the same situation, kind of. I want to do A level maths and further maths but I was ill on the day of the second exam n didn't manage my time well so didn't finish the paper. however, I feel if I had finished the paper I would have definitely got A* overall. I need to retake maths though to be able to do further maths because there is no way I got an A*. would I be able to start A level maths n maybe further maths in September n do the retake in November? also, if I change schools would I still be able to do this?
Reply 17
Guys im in the same dilemma as you guys but i think i got a B because i ran out time - so pisseedddddd!! So i feel like i should re sit in november too Should i, or should i not?
I did my maths GCSE in June 2015. Am I able to retake maths? I never really thought about retaking maths but I know I can do better than a C in Maths.
Original post by Harry_Styles
Hi, OMG I was thinking the same. I'm an A student and I think I may have scraped A* but if I get A or a mark off A*, I will be resitting it. I'm determined to get A* and I really have to. Anyway back to your question, I think it is allowed because my mum's manager has a daughter who got A in her maths but wanted A* so she re sat it. I think you have to let your teachers know from your current school but if you are moving schools for 6 form you have to let both schools know. Good luck! !!! Also i think you have to pay unless your teachers are determind that you will get the grade you want then they may pay

To but it bluntly, that's pretty pathetic, there are very few (if any) university or a level courses require an A* rather than an A, you're just wasting your time if you re-sit with an A grade when you don't need an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest