The Student Room Group

Why do people say "Heya" instead of nice clean no nonsense "Hi" or "Hello"?

heya sounds like something Bruce Lee would say when he is aroused
Reply 1
Original post by TaintedLight

What difference does it make?
Original post by kkboyk
What difference does it make?

I don't want to be greeted with a noise that sounds like someone is getting aroused
It's an acronym.

H - Hello
E - Everyone,
Y - Yours Truly Is
A - Aroused
Reply 4
I don't want to be greeted with a noise that sounds like someone is getting aroused

Lot's of people say it just because it's different to the norm. I know how you feel: I'm always greeted with an over enthusiastic "hi" and it annoys me
Hi is too shy
Hello is too enthusiastic

Hey is the compromise
I tell em "wag1"
Back to the game now
Reply 8
'What you sayinnn my g'
when i meet a friend i am like "wagwan dred ?" or perhaps "yo homes" or somesuch :dontknow:
heya
Is it an offence? Is it against the law to say something you disagree with :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya sounds cool to me, I like it!
No i acc hate u shut up, thats what i say.
Reply 14
aah the important questions in life
I agree, when I hear it I feel very distressed and sometimes a little nauseous. Good grief, it puts people in an impossible situation as we try to determine how to respond to such a word!
"Heya" is a variant of "hiya," which is a colloquial abbreviation of "how are you" - a perfectly valid greeting.

Oh, and guess what? "Hi" is an abbreviation of "hiya."

original.jpg
You lose.
That different people have different greetings is one of the things that makes the world interesting.

Personally, I like to mix it up. Sometimes I say "Heeelllooooo", sometimes I say 'Yo, bro', and sometimes I just say 'Greetings' in the poshest way possible, or any of numerous other greetings.

Quick Reply