Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

do adult nurses have to start a job as soon as they qualify? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay I hope this makes sense... Well I'm going to try and make it make sense.
    After my third year of university I'm planning to move to another city- so I was planning on obviously applying for jobs in that other city whilst I'm in third year so I was wondering (if I do get through this course and get Job offers) do you HAVE to start work as soon as you qualify, or is there an actual time limit? And how long after do start dates for newly qualified nurses start (September intake) after qualifying

I hope that makes sense 😩
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Clma.r)
    After my third year of university I'm planning to move to another city- so I was planning on obviously applying for jobs in that other city whilst I'm in third year so I was wondering (if I do get through this course and get Job offers) do you HAVE to start work as soon as you qualify, or is there an actual time limit? And how long after do start dates for newly qualified nurses start (September intake) after qualifying

There will be most jobs available around that time, as that's when places expect new nurses to be available. But there's no law saying you have to get a job straight away - people will go travelling, or get pregnant, or whatever. If you're going to have a long gap you might want to do something to keep your skills up and put on your CV (maybe volunteering, or a bank HCA job, or even just something like work in retail) as places might find it suspicious if you have a long time and nothing to show for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    There will be most jobs available around that time, as that's when places expect new nurses to be available. But there's no law saying you have to get a job straight away - people will go travelling, or get pregnant, or whatever. If you're going to have a long gap you might want to do something to keep your skills up and put on your CV (maybe volunteering, or a bank HCA job, or even just something like work in retail) as places might find it suspicious if you have a long time and nothing to show for it.

Hmm very true, I just wanted to take a few months out to get settled before i actually started

ReputationRep:

If you look on the NMC website it states that you need to register within a certain time frame otherwise you need do a return to practice course. You also need someone to say you're competent. So when you finish university, it is usually them who Co signs the application to the nursing register.
    The longer you leave it more evidence you may need.
    It states it all herehttps://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/...ned-in-the-uk/
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deviant182)
    If you look on the NMC website it states that you need to register within a certain time frame otherwise you need do a return to practice course. You also need someone to say you're competent. So when you finish university, it is usually them who Co signs the application to the nursing register.
    The longer you leave it more evidence you may need.
    It states it all herehttps://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/...ned-in-the-uk/
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you !!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you !!!
    No problem!
    A lot of people in Sept intake usually apply at Christmas time before they're due to qualify (ie the following summer).
    But there isn't a law stating that you need to apply then or that you have to start working straight away.
    Besides, the course itself is heavy and can be stressful etc so time out isn't too bad. If you started Sept and don't finish til the summer, your pin won't come through until October time anyway so you'll have a few months before you can start. This is where a lot of people usually work as a band 3 until they can do their band 5 post.
    Do whatever is right for you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there as long as you get your hours in within those three years you should be fine. Do some agency work if needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.