Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this, so please forgive my ignorance! My partner is 33 years old and is hoping to be accepted for university this September. He was hoping to do a full time course (business related, so no bursaries relevant) but we are trying to find out what financial help we would receive. We have quite a low income and 2 dependant children, aged 8 and 5 months. I am employed 30 hrs currently earn around 14k. We receive child tax credits. He is self employed but will give this up if he gets on the full time course, so I presume the household income will just be based on my earnings. I completed the online calculator and it said he might receive full tuition fee loans and up to £8,200 in maintenance loans, also up to £1,573 in parent learning allowance and some childcare costs too. This seems quite a lot to me as it's not far off what I receive per month after tax (low paid civil servant), so I'm suspicious it may not be this much? We have a mortgage, so really need to know we can cover the bills before we make this decision. Is anyone in a similar situation or know how much we are likely to receive? Any help and advice would be much appreciated! Remember I'm brand new so be kind!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by KMMR1986)
    Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this, so please forgive my ignorance! My partner is 33 years old and is hoping to be accepted for university this September. He was hoping to do a full time course (business related, so no bursaries relevant) but we are trying to find out what financial help we would receive. We have quite a low income and 2 dependant children, aged 8 and 5 months. I am employed 30 hrs currently earn around 14k. We receive child tax credits. He is self employed but will give this up if he gets on the full time course, so I presume the household income will just be based on my earnings. I completed the online calculator and it said he might receive full tuition fee loans and up to £8,200 in maintenance loans, also up to £1,573 in parent learning allowance and some childcare costs too. This seems quite a lot to me as it's not far off what I receive per month after tax (low paid civil servant), so I'm suspicious it may not be this much? We have a mortgage, so really need to know we can cover the bills before we make this decision. Is anyone in a similar situation or know how much we are likely to receive? Any help and advice would be much appreciated! Remember I'm brand new so be kind!!
    That sounds quite accurate actually, you certainly appear eligible for the maximum maintenance loan (the 8.2k) and i m not aware of how exactly the parental learning allowance works but with you being in the lowest income bracket i wouldn't be surprised if that figure is in fact correct You should also now get 25% off your council tax if you dont already have some sort of reduction to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.