Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Today I was late for my GCSE OCR Business Studies exam (Year 11). The sheet with all my examinations clearly stated its today at 13:30 (1:30 pm), so I turned up at school with my class mate at 1:11 (19 minutes before the exam time on the sheet), turns out the exam started at 1, 11 minutes before we arrived. The guy wasn't annoyed, he was just like "why were you late, get your stuff out now so you're not looking after", etc.
    Are there any consequences for being late to the exam? It's not really my fault, my sheet with the exam details stated 1:30 pm, but the exam started at 1pm and the school didn't inform me about it. Can I be punished or marks lost for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ventirus)
    Hi,
    Today I was late for my GCSE OCR Business Studies exam (Year 11). The sheet with all my examinations clearly stated its today at 13:30 (1:30 pm), so I turned up at school with my class mate at 1:11 (19 minutes before the exam time on the sheet), turns out the exam started at 1, 11 minutes before we arrived. The guy wasn't annoyed, he was just like "why were you late, get your stuff out now so you're not looking after", etc.
    Are there any consequences for being late to the exam? It's not really my fault, my sheet with the exam details stated 1:30 pm, but the exam started at 1pm and the school didn't inform me about it. Can I be punished or marks lost for this?
    #

You should not be penalised for this because technically it is NOT your fault, and you sat the exam right? If so, the only marks you'll lose is the questions you got wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I sat the exam and I actually got additional time - the old, examination guy came up to me and gave me a piece of paper that said " 1:11 to 2:41", which allocated me additional time. There isn't something like "okay, this candidate was 11 minutes late so we will deduct 11 marks" right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I sat the exam and I actually got additional time - the old, examination guy came up to me and gave me a piece of paper that said " 1:11 to 2:41", which allocated me additional time. There isn't something like "okay, this candidate was 11 minutes late so we will deduct 11 marks" right?
    You sat the exam for the time allocated and your paper will be marked as normal. You would have been told if this was not the case.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, that's great. Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, that's great. Thank you for your help.
    The only problem would be if you turned up after being had fully sat the exam because you could ask your friends what was on the paper and therefore in effect cheat whereas you turned up whilst the exam was in place.

ReputationRep:
    For the future, most exams start at either 9am or 1pm (not blaming you at all). So if you have a different start time listed it might be worth double checking with a teacher/online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConicalFlask)
    For the future, most exams start at either 9am or 1pm (not blaming you at all). So if you have a different start time listed it might be worth double checking with a teacher/online.
    The official start times are 0900 and 1330. Centres are allowed to alter those up by to 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The official start times are 0900 and 1330. Centres are allowed to alter those up by to 30 minutes.
    I didn't know that sorry:confused:
    I assumed that they couldn't change it at all because of the risk of people cheating between centres.
    You learn something new every day I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConicalFlask)
    I didn't know that sorry:confused:
    I assumed that they couldn't change it at all because of the risk of people cheating between centres.
    You learn something new every day I guess
    No problem, I presume your school implements a 1300 start time - some schools do for public transport reasons at the end of the day, the downside being they can't let anyone out of an exam for a whole 90 minutes, even if the exam is shorter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.