Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello! I hope you're doing well

I'm about to finish with my exams in the next few weeks & then it will be a good few months until uni starts (providing I go, that is.)
    Anyway, to most people my age this will probably sound like the ideal situation, months on end where you are free to do whatever you like with no real responsibility, right?
    I don't know if this is just normal when suffering from certain mental health conditions, but I actually dread having large amounts of time off. Even if it's just a 2 week holiday over Christmas or something, I always find myself feeling a sense of panic when I know I'm gonna have a lot of consecutive days where I have no real plans or anywhere to be (like school).

So my question I guess is, are any of you the same? What do you do when have a lot of time off to keep yourself occupied?
    It seems pretty obvious, that I should just do stuff! But the problem is, at the moment especially, I don't find anything particularly interesting. TV shows, movies, reading, nothing seems interesting to me. I find most of the day boring & find myself counting down the hours to when I can get back into bed again in the evening! :erm: Then I think I should plan to go out somewhere, with friends maybe, but I'm also extremely anxious about a lot of things (or pretty much everything) & socially find things quite challenging, so often avoid things because of this. I don't want to get back into the habit of just staying in bed all day & not bothering to get up (which was pretty much what I did last summer).

Any suggestions on small things I can do that will help keep me focused & motivated?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello! I hope you're doing well

I'm about to finish with my exams in the next few weeks & then it will be a good few months until uni starts (providing I go, that is.)
    Anyway, to most people my age this will probably sound like the ideal situation, months on end where you are free to do whatever you like with no real responsibility, right?
    I don't know if this is just normal when suffering from certain mental health conditions, but I actually dread having large amounts of time off. Even if it's just a 2 week holiday over Christmas or something, I always find myself feeling a sense of panic when I know I'm gonna have a lot of consecutive days where I have no real plans or anywhere to be (like school).

So my question I guess is, are any of you the same? What do you do when have a lot of time off to keep yourself occupied?
    It seems pretty obvious, that I should just do stuff! But the problem is, at the moment especially, I don't find anything particularly interesting. TV shows, movies, reading, nothing seems interesting to me. I find most of the day boring & find myself counting down the hours to when I can get back into bed again in the evening! :erm: Then I think I should plan to go out somewhere, with friends maybe, but I'm also extremely anxious about a lot of things (or pretty much everything) & socially find things quite challenging, so often avoid things because of this. I don't want to get back into the habit of just staying in bed all day & not bothering to get up (which was pretty much what I did last summer).

Any suggestions on small things I can do that will help keep me focused & motivated?
    I actually found volunteering good when I had loads of time free. Even an hour a week at a youth group or something can give you a sense of achievement and is also good for CVs etc. If you're looking at doing something more time consuming or challenging YMCA runs youth groups for disables and non-disabled children in the holidays and are always looking for volunteers. I only know about child care stuff since it's what I do, but there's other stuff too. I found volunteering good for my anxiety since it was only and hour a week and gave me a conterooled environment to be in where I knew what was what (and was also in a position of authority which helped my confidence). When I was at my worst it was the only thing I had no issues with and would still do.
    You could look for a hobby or maybe embark on a project. Maybe try to make something or re-decorate.
    If you're anxious about most things but want to spend time with friends you could try organising something in a familiar environment. Maybe a games or movie night?
    If it's people you have issues with a camping trip or something may be good. You could even camp out in a garden and do all the usual campfire marshmallow stuff but in a familiar place.
    If you just want stuff to do to waste time at home try binge watching shows, sites like reddit or imgur or some hobby. I find crafts good, but that's just me.

I also found my time before uni really useful for improving my mental health. I did therapy day sessions and it helped me a lot.

I hope at least some of that helped. Enjoy your holidays.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.