Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M392 – Road Resurfacing Motion 2016, TSR Labour Party
    This House believes that more money should be invested in road resurfacing by the Government..

At the moment, local councils are only given enough money for major roads and many of the resurfacing measures that do take place are only short-term.

The UK has the fifth biggest economy in the world yet many of its roads are poorly maintained and most of the resurfacing techniques currently used are unsustainable. It is crucial for us to have better infrastructure if we are to develop further as a country and one way this can be achieved is by the Government investing significantly more money in road resurfacing.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    As I understand most councils are in a catch 22 situation where money which would be used to resurface roads is instead used to compensate drivers effected by roads not being resurfaced. Many roads by me a pre resurfaced annually which I would assume is a result of them being only temporary?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye - there's a great large pothole around Cookstown, and a few more around Strabane!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And this will cost how much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And this will cost how much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To repair all of Britain's roads, it would cost £12 bn.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    To repair all of Britain's roads, it would cost £12 bn.
    Citation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Citation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26862992
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'd argue the money isn't there and there are a lot more important things for local councils to spend money on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'd argue the money isn't there and there are a lot more important things for local councils to spend money on
    Part of the problem is that local councils are dramatically underfunded, because it's an area the Tories can make cuts and have the local council rather than central government blamed.

ReputationRep:
    Smaller roads are more likely than main roads to be used by cyclists, and so more people will benefit. As for funding, if fuel duty was increased by the same percentage as rail fares each year, instead of being frozen as for the last six years, this I am sure could fund the £12n over a few years.

ReputationRep:
    The money given for road resurfacing to Bristol City Council for example, was instead used to cover administrative costs and Ferguson's stupid vanity projects.

If this were to go ahead, the money could not just be given to local government in the hope that they would do something. It would need to be made explicitly clear that the money solely be used for road resurfacing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    The money given for road resurfacing to Bristol City Council for example, was instead used to cover administrative costs and Ferguson's stupid vanity projects.

If this were to go ahead, the money could not just be given to local government in the hope that they would do something. It would need to be made explicitly clear that the money solely be used for road resurfacing.
    You're quite right about this. Local councils would need to provide the government with a breakdown of how they spent that money because otherwise, they will spend it on something else.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Road surfacing is a matter devolved to local authorities who also have the option to raise cash through taxation or further spending cuts. I will not rule out a funding increase but at this time, neither will i commit to one.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Aye - there's a great large pothole around Cookstown, and a few more around Strabane!
    Good oul Strabanistan
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This motion is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.