The Student Room Group

BM5 Southampton Medical Applicants 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

So I won't be staying in halls and I'm worried I'll miss out on fresher's events. How do we find out about these? And with living at home will I be able to get as involved?
Original post by CartoonNCereal
So I won't be staying in halls and I'm worried I'll miss out on fresher's events. How do we find out about these? And with living at home will I be able to get as involved?

MedSoc will tell you, and there will be lots of information in your freshers pack you get in Aug/Sept

If you don't want to miss out but aren't living in halls, you just need to make sure you get involved! Meet some people at the medics induction and medsoc fayre to go with. It's easy for those in halls to meet people, but if you make an effort to find people and make plans to go to events, you'll be fine.
Reply 1202
Hi everyone, can I get some advice, please? I am renting privately and relocating with my family as I am a mature student. Which of these 2 is a better area to live? Westend or Bevois Denzil avenue- I do not know Southampton at all so I thought I should ask.

Thanks!!!
Original post by aluca
Hi everyone, can I get some advice, please? I am renting privately and relocating with my family as I am a mature student. Which of these 2 is a better area to live? Westend or Bevois Denzil avenue- I do not know Southampton at all so I thought I should ask.

Thanks!!!

West end is much quieter.

Don't live there now but that's my hometown.

Sensual avenue backs up onto the train line so all you gear is trains.... it's situated behind derby road.... I'd definitely say west end from there you can get a bus to campus or hospital (I believe)

Denzil is near the royal south Hants hospital like a 5 minutes walk up Bullar street... aldi is also about a 15 minute walk away depending on what end of the street your located... also town centre is a 15 minute walk away with a big mall whereas west end is near hedge end it's also bear moorgreen hospital there's a country park near by for outings

It really depends if you can deal with railway lines all the time at night and also what you want from your immediate locate... west end is about 20 minute bus ride from town on a good day about 40 on a bad day
Original post by aluca

Thanks!!!

It's great that you have people on here who know the neighborhoods! But for purely practical reasons, I'd pick Bevois area because it's close to the U6H bus route which takes you to Southampton General, which is where you'll be spending most of first year. Traffic going to 9am lectures is always a pain, as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
So.......?
Reply 1206
Thank you very much!

Original post by vickie89uk
West end is much quieter.

Don't live there now but that's my hometown.

Sensual avenue backs up onto the train line so all you gear is trains.... it's situated behind derby road.... I'd definitely say west end from there you can get a bus to campus or hospital (I believe)

Denzil is near the royal south Hants hospital like a 5 minutes walk up Bullar street... aldi is also about a 15 minute walk away depending on what end of the street your located... also town centre is a 15 minute walk away with a big mall whereas west end is near hedge end it's also bear moorgreen hospital there's a country park near by for outings

It really depends if you can deal with railway lines all the time at night and also what you want from your immediate locate... west end is about 20 minute bus ride from town on a good day about 40 on a bad day
Reply 1207
Thank you very much!

Original post by 9910224
It's great that you have people on here who know the neighborhoods! But for purely practical reasons, I'd pick Bevois area because it's close to the U6H bus route which takes you to Southampton General, which is where you'll be spending most of first year. Traffic going to 9am lectures is always a pain, as well.
My place has been confirmed but my accomadation hasn't, is this normal?
Original post by Kraytz
My place has been confirmed but my accomadation hasn't, is this normal?

Not normal. Can I ask whether you received a late offer?
Original post by Ginga
Not normal. Can I ask whether you received a late offer?

Received offer on results day but talking to others apparently they'll be given out next week
For anyone already studying at Soton, would you recommend using a bike to get around. How accessible are the lecture/hospital where you're based for storing your bike?
Original post by The_Dragon_
For anyone already studying at Soton, would you recommend using a bike to get around. How accessible are the lecture/hospital where you're based for storing your bike?

The General had a bike garage.... be aware that there's been a lot of thefts of bikes recently in portswood (just up the road from the town centre) they have a bike theft watch going on and at the train station also.... but many students i pass going to the hospital ride bikes....

Ps I don't study at Southampton it's just my hometown
Original post by vickie89uk
The General had a bike garage.... be aware that there's been a lot of thefts of bikes recently in portswood (just up the road from the town centre) they have a bike theft watch going on and at the train station also.... but many students i pass going to the hospital ride bikes....

Ps I don't study at Southampton it's just my hometown

Thank you :smile: do all the major halls also have bike garages?

I've got no idea my brother works security at the actual university so I will ask for future reference but I'm not entirely sure to be honest.... also I don't know how the bike garage (right outside the exit for the south academic block behind the disabled parking bays) works I don't know if you need a card to enter that or what so that may need to be answered by someone else.... but it's in the car park which is situated at eye casualty car park entrance (there's several car parks) the south academic block entrance is at the end of that car park

Glen Eyre has a few depending which blocks you are placed in.
Last year there were quite a few thefts at hospital and portswood.
Personally I wouldnt recommend cycling as part of dale road is quite dangerous
Has anyone received confirmation of their accommodation?
Are we supposed to have received them by now or is there a particular time we should be expecting them

I have definitely applied, I applied before June
Original post by Bright_Gift
Has anyone received confirmation of their accommodation?
Are we supposed to have received them by now or is there a particular time we should be expecting them

I have definitely applied, I applied before June

Hi, I have emailed student services, apparently confirmation will be given in 1-2wks :smile:
Original post by Ginga
Hi, I have emailed student services, apparently confirmation will be given in 1-2wks :smile:

thank youuu
could someone please add me to a soton med 2017 facebook and or whatsapp group

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending