Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so, I think I absolutely flopped the first Edexcel Maths paper (non-calculator).

I'm supposed to be an A* student but I'm just decent at Maths, though I feel like I'd improve alot going into it at A-level, though my worry now is that I completely messed up the first paper.

From the unofficial markscheme I got around 52 on the first paper, and 75 on the second paper, totalling 127, not sure if this is enough for an A, and truly doubt it will be - so right now I'm coming to terms with the fact I probably got a B in Maths which sucks in all honesty.

I wanna take A-level Maths, my schools sixth form requires an A, but for any of you A-level students/GCSE do you reckon they'll still take people if they got high B's?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my friend got a B and managed to do it for a level

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can but the struggle is gonna get real

ReputationRep:
    If your an A* student then the maths department will know that it was just a bad exam and will most likely still accept you as they know you, you've been attending the school, it would be a bit harder if you were an external applicant, but they will most likely let you do it, especially if its a high B.

Don't go off the unofficial mark scheme, to be honest, you've probably done better than you think and if the exam was hard, its likely the grade boundries will have lowered, I'm not saying don't prepare for the worst, but have a little faith.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on the 6th form because they have different requirements. Mine requires B.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the sixth form. Up until our year they allowed people with a B to do Alevel but the year after they raised it to an A. But i do warn you as someone who got two A*s at GCSE I got a C at AS as the jump is just so large. You would really need to work hard to do well in Maths

ReputationRep:
    Definitely depends on the sixth form. My sixth form requires all mathematics students to have an A in maths, however, a sixth form about 15 minutes further away asks for a B in maths.

Obviously, you will probably have a smoother ride with an A/A* in maths at GCSE.

Also I think 127 sounds like an A to me (Not sure how hard the papers were as I did my GCSE Maths last year). Narrowly though.

My sixth form accepts people with C's tbh at Gcses :L

ReputationRep:
    You need a High B for A Level.

ReputationRep:
    I know of a Sixth Form that has a B grade for a requirement for Further Maths A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Most sixth form require a B for A-level Maths (I got into both Maths and Further with a B).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.