Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm in my AS year and I'm doing an essay on painkillers and the effect they have on the brain. I've realised that this is a bit of a difficult topic to do it on especially considering that i've only got 1500 words.

Has anyone got suggestions on something medicine related, ideally based on the brain but not too complicated on the brain?

ReputationRep:
    Long-term opiate use is something very topical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loyale)
    Hi guys,

I'm in my AS year and I'm doing an essay on painkillers and the effect they have on the brain. I've realised that this is a bit of a difficult topic to do it on especially considering that i've only got 1500 words.

Has anyone got suggestions on something medicine related, ideally based on the brain but not too complicated on the brain?
    As mentioned above, you can talk a lot about opioids: from how they work to reduce pain, to the mechanisms behind their side effects, leading on to opioid dependence.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    So are concepts and mechanisms too difficult to grasp in terms of complexity?
    But hey, Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loyale)
    So are concepts and mechanisms too difficult to grasp in terms of complexity?
    But hey, Thanks!
    No problems

It depends - have you covered the basics of how action potentials are generated in neurons and how they're transmitted between neurons (basic neurophysiology)?

If not, I would watch YouTube videos (Khanacademy and Handwritten Tutorials are pretty good channels) that give you a basic insight into electrical and chemical messages are transmitted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    No problems

It depends - have you covered the basics of how action potentials are generated in neurons and how they're transmitted between neurons (basic neurophysiology)?

If not, I would watch YouTube videos (Khanacademy and Handwritten Tutorials are pretty good channels) that give you a basic insight into electrical and chemical messages are transmitted.
    I haven't, but will do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.