Have I effed up my university education?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have left my social work course in 2nd year and i'm now joining a crappy childhood studies course as a 2nd year student which won't get me far in life i feel horrible. I just wasn't confident enough to be a social worker and that was portrayed during the 30 days of placement i did i'm too shy and awkward with people i was in the wrong profession. Have i still got a shot at getting a good job?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Did you wnat to be a social worker?

Didnt you know you might be shy or lacked confidence? They cna be deal with and dont have to hold you back.

What do you mean by a good job? There are those you enjoy and those which pay well?

Dont know about childhood studies. Its imperative you get a good grade. Do you wnat to be dealing with children?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ldhood-studies
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Did you wnat to be a social worker?

Didnt you know you might be shy or lacked confidence? They cna be deal with and dont have to hold you back.

What do you mean by a good job? There are those you enjoy and those which pay well?

Dont know about childhood studies. Its imperative you get a good grade. Do you wnat to be dealing with children?

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ldhood-studies
I was unsure what career to choose just went with social work. after spending 2 years on the course i really enjoyed it. I still think about what the 3rd year would be like for me. I really wish i was confident that's the only thing holding me back i was doing great in assignments and knowledge area.

I did know i was shy but thought it was just a phase coming out of sixth form and i would get over it eventually once i join uni and interact more with others.

Good Job= good pay, higher up jobs e.g. social work, nurse, psychologist etc. not like a nursery nurse they barely pay

Childhood studies i could come out with a good grade if i really tried hard. I don't mind dealing with children as long as it's a good job i get on well with kids.
999tigger
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
well you cna find out where people with those degrees go.
Also 50% of grad jobs are non degree specific.
You should talk to your supervisor/ tutor and careers. No idea if it really was necessary to come off the course? Maybe a better choice would have been to finish the second year, then take a break and go and get some work experience to deal with your confidence and shyness.issues. Go back when they are sorted.

You need a good grade.
Anonymous #1
BUMP
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
The fact that you referred to the course you've signed up for as 'crappy' suggests you didn't make the right move. I would say finish the course you started if you enjoyed it, and work on your confidence.
999tigger
Report 5 years ago
Btw your lack of confidence and shyness is going to affect you in whatever job, so you should start a strategy learning how to improve these.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (70)
66.67%
No (26)
24.76%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise