The Student Room Group

Would I get into Cambridge or Oxford for mechanical Engineering?

I've recentyl finished my As year mock exams in Economics, biology, Maths and Physics. I achieved all A's and for my GCSEs i achieved 3A*s, maths and physics included, 5 A's, 2 B's and a C.
I really want to study mechanical engeering at cambridge, oxford or kings and would be really dissapointed if I didnt get in.
I havent done a lot of wider reading except for when i was writing the first draft for my personal statement. Do I have any hope on getting in with my grades and extra curricular ect...? If not is there anything I can do to improve my chances?
Thanks in advance for any replies
Reply 1
considering you don't even know that neither offer mech eng, except an eng course and then you specialize, then no.
Reply 2
Original post by Sherrytoor
I've recentyl finished my As year mock exams in Economics, biology, Maths and Physics. I achieved all A's and for my GCSEs i achieved 3A*s, maths and physics included, 5 A's, 2 B's and a C.
I really want to study mechanical engeering at cambridge, oxford or kings and would be really dissapointed if I didnt get in.
I havent done a lot of wider reading except for when i was writing the first draft for my personal statement. Do I have any hope on getting in with my grades and extra curricular ect...? If not is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

Kings? In preference to Imperial? And KCL doesn't offer either MechEng or general Engineering.

Also re Cambridge you will really need Further Maths.

And you can't apply to both Cambridge and Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Would unis see it as a bad thing if i took a year out to do extra curricular things such as volunteering, dofe gold, further maths ect?
Reply 4
Original post by Yua
considering you don't even know that neither offer mech eng, except an eng course and then you specialize, then no.

Okay so would I be able to do an engineering course do you think then? Are my grades good enough? And also do unis see it as a bad thing if you take a year out to do extra curricular things such as dofe gold, volunteering, further maths ect?

Why have you selected those three universities, given that the first two offer a general degree for the first two years and the third does not offer any sort of undergraduate mechanical or related engineering?

In terms of admissions, extra curriculars and wider reading aren't of any importance. What is, is your grades. If you check out the related university subforums there is likely lots of posts about who has and has not been made an offer and with what grade profiles.

But, there are a wide range of universities that offer mechanical engineering, so provided you get at least Bs in maths and physics, you will likely get an offer from somewhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Okay so would I be able to do an engineering course do you think then? Are my grades good enough? And also do unis see it as a bad thing if you take a year out to do extra curricular things such as dofe gold, volunteering, further maths ect?

For Cambridge you need to be on target to achieve A*A*A. And no, doing DoE gold, etc will not help you at all.

Doing FM in a gap year might. But there's no guarantee, which makes it a risky strategy.

As @Smack says, just find universities that more closely match your expected A-levels. There's plenty of very good ones offering MechEng out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
What would most improve your chances at this point, aside from the obvious grades, is researching to see if the courses in question actually exist.
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
For Cambridge you need to be on target to achieve A*A*A. And no, doing DoE gold, etc will not help you at all.

Doing FM in a gap year might. But there's no guarantee, which makes it a risky strategy.

As @Smack says, just find universities that more closely match your expected A-levels. There's plenty of very good ones offering MechEng out there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply,

Judging by most of the replies I dont think Cambridge is the right option for me. I've had a look at imperial as well and their admissions criteria doesnt specify whether or not further maths will be a necessity. What would a typical offer from imperial be likely to consist of?
Thanks in advance
Reply 9
Thank you for your reply,

Judging by most of the replies I dont think Cambridge is the right option for me. I've had a look at imperial as well and their admissions criteria doesnt specify whether or not further maths will be a necessity. What would a typical offer from imperial be likely to consist of?
Thanks in advance

Where did you look?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/mechanical-engineering-department/mechanical-engineering-meng/

A-levels

The normal entry requirements for all our courses are at least three suitable subjects at A-level, at *A*A*A*overall, to include:

A* in Mathematics
A* in Physics
A in one of the following: Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Design Technology, Economics, Electronics, Further Mathematics

Or *A*AAA overall, to include:

A* in Mathematics
A*/A in Physics
A in two of the following: Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Design Technology, Economics, Electronics, Further Mathematics, Art and Design

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I see, I will apply to Imperial I'm just worried that they will reject me on the basis that I dont have further maths.
Reply 11
I see, I will apply to Imperial I'm just worried that they will reject me on the basis that I dont have further maths.

They might reject you, but not for that. Or don't you believe their published entry requirements?!
(edited 7 years ago)

The entry requirements clearly show that FM is not a requirement...

It would help with the course but it is not a requirement.
Many Scottish unis are good for engineering and have good industry links. Strathclyde, Heriot Watt, Aberdeen, Robert Gordon, Edinburgh and Glasgow all have good engineering departments and good employment statistics.
Original post by PineapplePol
Many Scottish unis are good for engineering and have good industry links. Strathclyde, Heriot Watt, Aberdeen, Robert Gordon, Edinburgh and Glasgow all have good engineering departments and good employment statistics.

A lot more of the industry links of Scottish universities are with O&G compared to English/Welsh universities so you're going to see employment statistics tumble a bit in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending