Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You dont know a person untill you live with them ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think thats true ? People have been saying this and I actually think it is, as some people change and you can see there true colours but only when you live with them.

A relationship is different as your not constantly with that person. So how would you know if you can live with that person ?

ReputationRep:
    I think this is true because that's why people say moving in with each other is a big deal
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by redleader1)
    Do you think thats true ? People have been saying this and I actually think it is, as some people change and you can see there true colours but only when you live with them.

A relationship is different as your not constantly with that person. So how would you know if you can live with that person ?
    You wont know for certain you can until you give it a go. It's difficult for me to make a comparison as we pretty much lived alternately at each others places until we made the decision to move into together, but you do learn a lot about a person when you live with them so i guess its true.

ReputationRep:
    It is true :yep: but also interact with his friends and find out more about him maybe that way will help x

ReputationRep:
    I think being around them for long periods of time lets you get to know them more. Ideally not in a date environment - there's only so much you can get to know someone over dinner, to see the real them, it is nice to visit them at home etc. The reason why moving in is suggested is because you can see the type of dynamic your relationship has outside the "date" environment, and also how they deal with money, domestic issues etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think even if you see someone a lot you will always get a slightly edited version of them whereas if you live together you will be more likely to see their bad moods, bad habits etc. Generally, if you know someone well, you should be able to come to a compromise on how to live together (in terms of things like money, chores, cleanliness etc) and knowing them well should let you know if there's any horrific deal breakers (e.g. is their bedroom always full of dirty dishes) and how good they are at dealing with disagreements as you need to be able to compromise - there will always be things you disagree on.

ReputationRep:
    Not really true. Me and my boyfriend had been together for 5 years before we moved in together, can't say I've learnt anything new about him in the year we've been living together.

If I'd only known him a year or so before moving in with him, I'm sure it would have been different.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I definitely agree that you learn more about someone when you live with them and not just dating. It can be make or break for some couples and I definitely recommend living together for a couple of years before getting married to make sure you can put up with them almost 24/7 and you are compatible. I've lived with my bf for 6 years now and there's not much I didn't know about him before we moved in together but it made our bond stronger and I found out more of his annoying or disgusting habits that I wouldn't have seen if I didn't live with him but it never put me off and made it more sure that we will be ready to get married down the line and it can work and it has been working all this time.

ReputationRep:
    I would tend to agree. When you live with someone you usually end up seeing them for their true self rather than the 'idealistic persona' we like to portray in front of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree that you don't really know a person very well until you live with them. There's just all sorts of things and habits that you only pick up on when you're living with them. And sharing bills and that. Even then... you can live with a person for many years and still not know them entirely. Just stuff I've noticed from living with friends/flatmates/boyfriend/family over the years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    I agree to an extent but I don't think my boyfriend and I have really learnt anything new since living together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.