Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Diet coke (Help!) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Most wont remember but a couple of days ago I decided tostop drinking diet coke couse its bad for you, and I thought I would say how I'm gettting on...

Well, I'm getting on really well if you take out the minor detail that I'm still drinking it!!!

any suggestions to help stop, or bettter alternatives (NOT WATER!!!)

At the moment I am very tired as I'm getting back from my perfromances for viola late and checking my mail quickly thengoing to bed... what should I do???

ReputationRep:
    How hard can it be to stop drinking it?

How about fruit juice. It tastes so much better anyway.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Drink Fruit Twist Fanta

ReputationRep:
    Diet coke actually contains an ingredients which makes it addictive plus, I depend on the caffine to keep me awake, and I'm allergic to orange juice!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. It may have addictive qualities, but it's hardly smack, is it? Go cold turkey and drink apple juice. Appletiser is nice, it's pure apple juice but carbonated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historyhoney)
    Diet coke actually contains an ingredients which makes it addictive plus, I depend on the caffine to keep me awake, and I'm allergic to orange juice!
    Oranges are not the only fruit my dear . And if you want caffeine then take a pro plus! Sorry i'm not more sympathetic but i can't stand coke or pepsi or dr pepper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    Hmm. It may have addictive qualities, but it's hardly smack, is it? Go cold turkey and drink apple juice. Appletiser is nice, it's pure apple juice but carbonated.

I went cold turkey for a day, and couldn't think i was very very tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Oranges are not the only fruit my dear . And if you want caffeine then take a pro plus! Sorry i'm not more sympathetic but i can't stand coke or pepsi or dr pepper.
    I used to be like that - this kind of sprung up on me!!! Oh and I'm not allowed to take pro plus, but I still campaign against dr pepper *Shivers* not a nice drink

ReputationRep:
    A day? You're weak... Going cold turkey doesn't work unless you get over the crap days and into the detox days.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but when you play a viola for 8 hours, and then walk into a shop and someone offers you caffine and you think... I have a three hour concert and a lot of practising, coke seems the best option!

ReputationRep:
    Get addicted to Fab lollies instead. Sugar is better than caffine. Tastes nicer too!

ReputationRep:
    Red Bull gives you wings

If you're wanting something sweet-ish, try J2O. They're fruit juices and pretty nice.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but when you play a viola for 8 hours, and then walk into a shop and someone offers you caffine and you think... I have a three hour concert and a lot of practising, coke seems the best option!
    Ugh i hate coke i feel sorry for you being addicted to it.

ReputationRep:
    Most wont remember but a couple of days ago I decided tostop drinking diet coke couse its bad for you, and I thought I would say how I'm gettting on...
    My flatmate has the same problem, - except that she doesn't want to give it up - It was just us trying to curb her addiction! Drinking 2 litres a day can NOT be a good thing! Ah well... we tried...

ReputationRep:
    Warning to the guys:

Diet Coke has spermicidal chemical derivatives!!

ReputationRep:
    Tea has lots of caffeine, as does coffee. Red Bull is disgusting, but if you're into the taste of Calpol give it a go for a caffeine/taurine boost. There are lots of other high-energy drinks too, although they're all very sickly - you can usually spot them by the garish colours... Oh, and you can buy a lemon mixer for G&T in tescos that has a high caffeine content too.

*students know their caffeine*

HOWEVER do try to wean yourself off caffeine when you can - it's useful for short periods of time but you can get too reliant on it, and you can overdose (not nice - involves much shaking, I've done it). If cold turkey doesn't work, try gently reducing your intake a bit at a time. Water can be boring, but is very healthy and in all honesty a good move if you've been overdoing the coke. Fruit juices, as someone said, are also a good idea - if you can't drink orange juice try apple or grape or pineapple, or one of the mix-n-match juices. Many possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it does take about 5 grams of caffeine to be overdosed (which is equivalent to about 80 cups of coffee) so I wouldn't worry too much about getting overdosed (it probably won't happen). Besides, oversdosing on caffeine is fatal!

What you should worry about are the long term effects of caffeine. It can in fact add to stress, tension and nervousness. So if you want to really mess up on playing the viola at your concerts (and look like a complete ass) then go ahead..have some more diet coke!

In addition, trying to suddenly stop is dangerous. The withdrawal symptoms are not nice. I think the shaking MadNatsci referred to was due to withdrawal symptoms rather than an overdose. Slowly reduce your caffeine intake.

On a final note, it sounds to me as if you do not want to quit. I see that many people have kindly posted suggestions but you always post why you cannot carry such suggestions out. Best of luck; seems like you're not very good at taking advise.

Take care,

John

ReputationRep:
    Soya Bean Milk Hahha

ReputationRep:
    I do want to, I dont think I'll have any today couase I'm not going out until my concert, I get really tired in them though because I have to play for three hours to 11:00pm. I think I'll try to buy something else, I do go through phases though, befrore I drank loads of apple tango! I think its cause when I was younger I wasn't allowed any fizzy drinks. I might try the flavoured water as that could bring me back to drinking water.

ReputationRep:
    I do want to, I dont think I'll have any today couase I'm not going out until my concert, I get really tired in them though because I have to play for three hours to 11:00pm. I think I'll try to buy something else, I do go through phases though, befrore I drank loads of apple tango! I think its cause when I was younger I wasn't allowed any fizzy drinks. I might try the flavoured water as that could bring me back to drinking water.
    If you're that addicted, why not try to eat a couple of cola bottle sweets a day? Or would you just get addicted to those then?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.