Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At Exeter university how easy is it to get in to Womens 1st hockey squad? I'm 15 and already play for county and my hockey clubs women's 1st team, and I might be going to play for regionals (JRPC) in September! Do you think I would get into a university 1sts hockey team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzzymarsh)
    At Exeter university how easy is it to get in to Womens 1st hockey squad? I'm 15 and already play for county and my hockey clubs women's 1st team, and I might be going to play for regionals (JRPC) in September! Do you think I would get into a university 1sts hockey team
    First things first, you still have ages before University and so the standard of any sport at any University may well change a huge amount before you start Uni. The standard each year is largely dependent on which of their current players graduate and what the standard of the new first year students is. However Exeter tends to be consistently good at hockey and year after year manages to put out a very good team. For example the women have won the Premier South (the top division for the South of the country) every single year since 2009 and prior to being runner-up in the National Finals this year had made the semi-finals for the last four years in a row.

However at the moment the standard of hockey at Exeter is very high. The Womens team were the runner-up in the BUCS leagues this year. Going unbeaten in their group, the top division for the south of the country with 9 wins and 1 draw, and their only loss of the season was a 2-1 loss to Birmingham in the national final. Similarly the mens team were also national runners-up, like the women they had 9 wins and 1 draw in their league with their only loss of the season being a 1-0 loss to Loughborough in the national final.

If you want to see for yourself what the current standard is then your best bet would be to watch the National Finals game against Birmingham. The whole thing is on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvuKfQrauc

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    First things first, you still have ages before University and so the standard of any sport at any University may well change a huge amount before you start Uni. The standard each year is largely dependent on which of their current players graduate and what the standard of the new first year students is. However Exeter tends to be consistently good at hockey and year after year manages to put out a very good team. For example the women have won the Premier South (the top division for the South of the country) every single year since 2009 and prior to being runner-up in the National Finals this year had made the semi-finals for the last four years in a row.

However at the moment the standard of hockey at Exeter is very high. The Womens team were the runner-up in the BUCS leagues this year. Going unbeaten in their group, the top division for the south of the country with 9 wins and 1 draw, and their only loss of the season was a 2-1 loss to Birmingham in the national final. Similarly the mens team were also national runners-up, like the women they had 9 wins and 1 draw in their league with their only loss of the season being a 1-0 loss to Loughborough in the national final.

If you want to see for yourself what the current standard is then your best bet would be to watch the National Finals game against Birmingham. The whole thing is on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvuKfQrauc

Hope this helps.

Okay thank you, after you have said that I feel as though I won't be going into the 1sts as Exeter is good but thank you for the reply! And thank you for the link

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.