RE (c)
    Maths (c)
    Double Award Science
    Economics
    ICT
    Music
    Geography
    Further Maths

And basically, I want to drop either music or geography as I want to replace one of them with history. You could say I have a love/hate relationship with the two subjects; I love, for example, the performing/composing aspect of music (btw I play guitar), while I hate listening tasks and theory, and with geography, I love most human geography topics but dislike the majority of physical geography topics. I've also been hearing a lot of things about our music teacher being a bit "favouriting" towards certain people (especially those who play classical instruments). So my question is really what is the hardest out of the two (my exam board is CCEA), what would prove to be more useful (js I want to go in to investment banking and I know music won't help a bit, but I just want it as a chill out, non acedemical subject to do) and what one, overall, should I JUST KEEP?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i take geography and history gcse but i cant say from experience anything about music. geography does get super super boring torwards the exam, but it's quite easy in my opinion. im the same with you where i found human geography to be easy, interesting and requires not a lot but common sense. but torwards the end the human topics are so boring im leaning torwards the physical side of things now :rofl:

i know people who take music and they go to perform and stuff here and there with A level students, they're also in the school play,but not sure if thats compulsory or not. i guess the other subjects you've picked are quite academic already, so maybe if you want a relaxing two years then pick music. i would replace music with history but thats just me, its a very interesting subject and can improve your writing speed and essay writing in exams (i found it helpful for that)

but i dont like the fact that the music teacher is favouriting students, that's going to be a miserable two years if youre not one of them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD-60398)
    So I'm doing the following GCSEs next year - btw (c) stands for compulsory:
    English (c)
    English lit (c)
    Spanish
    RE (c)
    Maths (c)
    Double Award Science
    Economics
    ICT
    Music
    Geography
    Further Maths

And basically, I want to drop either music or geography as I want to replace one of them with history. You could say I have a love/hate relationship with the two subjects; I love, for example, the performing/composing aspect of music (btw I play guitar), while I hate listening tasks and theory, and with geography, I love most human geography topics but dislike the majority of physical geography topics. I've also been hearing a lot of things about our music teacher being a bit "favouriting" towards certain people (especially those who play classical instruments). So my question is really what is the hardest out of the two (my exam board is CCEA), what would prove to be more useful (js I want to go in to investment banking and I know music won't help a bit, but I just want it as a chill out, non acedemical subject to do) and what one, overall, should I JUST KEEP?
    I'd recommend dropping music. I did both at GCSE and although geography was harder in terms of memorising all the info, I enjoyed it more because like you, I much prefered playing the piano over composing and all the theory. Plus my music teacher was super biased too and didn't like me that much so the 2 years of music felt agonising. Plus geography is a more respected subject.

Also music won't be a chill and easy subject if you're not good at composing. I found it very difficult to compose 2 pieces...

And for investment banking, a lot of econ grads go into IB (you don't have to do Economics though). A level geography helps with a level economics (if you're thinking of doing an econ degree). Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Even though I take music, I think Geography would loo better alongside the other subjects that you're doing. Because you play guitar i'm guessing you don't read sheet music, so if you're not a fast learner of the theory side of it, you might find it a bit harder and the composing if you don't do it on your guitar and you do it on notation software, which depending on what you want to get at the end of the year, could impact your final grade. Even if you don't take music for gcse, it doesn't mean you can't be an accomplished guitar player anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.