Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, so basically for my Health and Social Care Edexcel exams and my Psychology Unit 3 OCR exam, I'm being made to do my exams on a laptop because my handwriting is THAT BAD. I'm really for it and think that it will help me, a lot, I'm just slightly nervous as to what will actually happen. I really want to know whether I will have the booklet next to me, and on multi choice questions (particularly health and social questions) will I type them or tick them on the paper, or will it be an online paper?!
    I really just want to know if anyone knows what will happen and what it is like from pupils who have previously done their exams on a laptop, I just don't want to go and completely freak out because its completely different to how I expected it to be,
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I used a laptop once in an english exam.

They just had a microsoft word document thing out and it did not have grammar check or anything all i had to do is number the question and answer it. I had the insert and question paper with the laptop too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth Mitchell)
    Hi guys, so basically for my Health and Social Care Edexcel exams and my Psychology Unit 3 OCR exam, I'm being made to do my exams on a laptop because my handwriting is THAT BAD. I'm really for it and think that it will help me, a lot, I'm just slightly nervous as to what will actually happen. I really want to know whether I will have the booklet next to me, and on multi choice questions (particularly health and social questions) will I type them or tick them on the paper, or will it be an online paper?!
    I really just want to know if anyone knows what will happen and what it is like from pupils who have previously done their exams on a laptop, I just don't want to go and completely freak out because its completely different to how I expected it to be,!
    You should be given a laptop with a specific login which only gives you access to a word processor with no spell check (e.g. Wordpad). (You can't use your normal school login). It should be set up on double line spacing ansd 12pt font. You have the booklet and it's entirely up to you which bits you answer in the booklet and which bits on the word processor.

(The regulations say you can only have a laptop if it is your normal way of working in the centre - you should have been using one for lots of work through the year and all internal tests so you should now be familiar with exactly what happens. It is not your fault in the slightest but I'm getting a bit fed up with the number of similar threads on here - all your centres are breaking the rules if they give you one when you've never had one before.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    You should be given a laptop with a specific login which only gives you access to a word processor with no spell check (e.g. Wordpad). (You can't use your normal school login). It should be set up on double line spacing ansd 12pt font. You have the booklet and it's entirely up to you which bits you answer in the booklet and which bits on the word processor.

(The regulations say you can only have a laptop if it is your normal way of working in the centre - you should have been using one for lots of work through the year and all internal tests so you should now be familiar with exactly what happens. It is not your fault in the slightest but I'm getting a bit fed up with the number of similar threads on here - all your centres are breaking the rules if they give you one when you've never had one before.)
    You seem mad

ReputationRep:
    The thing is that after my exams I'm going to try and get diagnosed with a learning disability which affects fine motor skills and none of my teachers have really suggested it until an exam invigilator saw my writing in an exam, thanks for the help though

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.