Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got a mate, well I'm sort of friends with both of them actually now, but I'm wondering if my mate's gf is just getting used for sex/company while she's convenient, yet she's staked everything on some kind of future with him, but to be fair to him he did tell her right at the beginning he'd get back with an ex if he could.

They're coming up to being together almost 2 years, yet they still don't live together (she's wanted to since a few months in). He's 30 and she's late 20s. He still lives with his mum, yet he has a child with his former partner who he does see regularly and pay for. All his extra money goes on car finance, like £500 a month. His gf thinks they're buying a house though, yet he can't afford a deposit because of the car costs and he wouldn't be able to get a big enough mortgage on his income (van driver) and the child support he pays, even if the car was paid off. Also he's recently self employed so in no position to buy a house for them.

She's moved jobs to be closer to him and is only allowed to stay at the weekend. She's had to move back in with her mum because she now only can get part time work and can't afford to live.

I just don't think he has any intention on anything long term with her, but I think he should tell her that, it's nearly 2 years, she seems blind to it and will be left with nothing when it ends.

ReputationRep:
    You need to rescue her from him..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 122025278)
    I've got a mate, well I'm sort of friends with both of them actually now, but I'm wondering if my mate's gf is just getting used for sex/company while she's convenient, yet she's staked everything on some kind of future with him, but to be fair to him he did tell her right at the beginning he'd get back with an ex if he could.

They're coming up to being together almost 2 years, yet they still don't live together (she's wanted to since a few months in). He's 30 and she's late 20s. He still lives with his mum, yet he has a child with his former partner who he does see regularly and pay for. All his extra money goes on car finance, like £500 a month. His gf thinks they're buying a house though, yet he can't afford a deposit because of the car costs and he wouldn't be able to get a big enough mortgage on his income (van driver) and the child support he pays, even if the car was paid off. Also he's recently self employed so in no position to buy a house for them.

She's moved jobs to be closer to him and is only allowed to stay at the weekend. She's had to move back in with her mum because she now only can get part time work and can't afford to live.

I just don't think he has any intention on anything long term with her, but I think he should tell her that, it's nearly 2 years, she seems blind to it and will be left with nothing when it ends.
    You need to talk to her! it's for the best, and you'll be doing the right thing!
    Sit her down, and talk her through what you've written here, yeah your friend might get angry, but it's for her best, and it needs to stop if she's got really high hopes for this relationship- it'll break her, but just be there for her!

I say do it ASAP, because things are seeming to move really quickly- i.e buying a place together ect!

Good Luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.