Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had extenuating circumstances at GCSE but if my PS is very compelling will I still be considered plus good AS grades or should I just apply to Kings instead

ReputationRep:
    Apply to both, but keep in mind that the majority of applicants will probably have majority A*/A grades at GCSE.

They put a lot of emphasis on your personal statement, but keep in mind that your perception of how good a personal statement is, and theirs', may be different, as they tend to look out for very specific things and have a better impression of how good you are compared to the competition than you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Apply to both, but keep in mind that the majority of applicants will probably have majority A*/A grades at GCSE.

They put a lot of emphasis on your personal statement, but keep in mind that your perception of how good a personal statement is, and theirs', may be different, as they tend to look out for very specific things and have a better impression of how good you are compared to the competition than you do.
    Thank you I have found your response rather encouraging and I am in absolute tatters about LSE. I can't emphasis enough how I need this so badly, its just becoming too overwhelming and I hope this doesn't come across as too dramatic its just because me doing well and getting into the LSE and in general doing well in my education counteracts everything bad thats happened in my life and I am quite lonely so all I do is put my focus onto my education however at the minute I am losing hope. Does LSE specifically say that they place alot of importance on PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highfly)
    Does LSE specifically say that they place alot of importance on PS
    Take a look at this: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...a2016/law.aspx The only thing that is explicitly mentioned about the importance of the P.S. is the following: "The LSE Department of Law does not routinely interview applicants as part of the decision making process, hence the Personal Statement plays a key role in the application process". However, conventional wisdom on this forum says that your PS, due to the high number of high-achieving applicants for this course, is crucial.

As a slightly unrelated bit of advice, I'd personally recommend that you don't put all your eggs in one basket - apply to more than one London university in case LSE doesn't work out (King's or Queen Mary would be a good "backup", consider places such as Bristol, Exeter and Manchester, and make sure that you're not going into the applications process with an "LSE or nothing" mindset. Quite a few people make that mistake with Oxbridge on this forum, and the disappointment in January when they hear back is palpable. There are plenty of reputable Law courses with lower entry requirements and perfectly decent (if not nominally better) employment prospects out there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Take a look at this: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...a2016/law.aspx The only thing that is explicitly mentioned about the importance of the P.S. is the following: "The LSE Department of Law does not routinely interview applicants as part of the decision making process, hence the Personal Statement plays a key role in the application process". However, conventional wisdom on this forum says that your PS, due to the high number of high-achieving applicants for this course, is crucial.

As a slightly unrelated bit of advice, I'd personally recommend that you don't put all your eggs in one basket - apply to more than one London university in case LSE doesn't work out (King's or Queen Mary would be a good "backup", consider places such as Bristol, Exeter and Manchester, and make sure that you're not going into the applications process with an "LSE or nothing" mindset. Quite a few people make that mistake with Oxbridge on this forum, and the disappointment in January when they hear back is palpable. There are plenty of reputable Law courses with lower entry requirements and perfectly decent (if not nominally better) employment prospects out there

Thank you I have decided on my choices which are LSE,Kings,Bristol,Warwick and Exeter or Kent. I just want the best possible career/employment prospects and swell as this the LSE 100 course is something I am extremely drawn too. I know my PS will have to be absolutley compelling,mind-blowing and out of this world but hopefully my dad can help me as he is a solicitor at a magic circle firm. I am planning to prepare for the LNAT over the summer rand have my PS written and ready to go, so I send off my uni application 2nd week of september because I have heard that the earlier you send it off the more offers you are likely to get

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.