Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Does anyone know how Durham works on results day with regard to entrance grades? For example, If you're offer's AAA but you get A*AB, who are you supposed to contact: College or department, in order to grovel for place! Just a bit confused as it's collegiate?
    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Jamie.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by JamieBending)
    Hi,
    Does anyone know how Durham works on results day with regard to entrance grades? For example, If you're offer's AAA but you get A*AB, who are you supposed to contact: College or department, in order to grovel for place! Just a bit confused as it's collegiate?
    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Jamie.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-results-day

You've missed your firm offer

Don't give up completely as there's still a chance they might accept you. First of all check UCAS Track. If Track says your place is 'unconditional' then you're fine. Relax, celebrate and leave the phone lines clear - don't phone your university 'just to check'.

However, if Track shows that you've been unsuccessful, that is it. Game over. Unis will not allow you to plead your case if they have already firmly rejected you so do not waste everyone's time by phoning the uni 'just in case'. It's utterly pointless.

With places now so competitive, it's really only worth asking a uni to reconsider if you have new information to provide - eg you just missed out on your grades by a few UMS marks or intend to appeal any grades.

If you do phone the uni because of either of these two reasons, remember to keep calm, and however stressed you feel, don't be rude or aggressive. The person who answers the phone isn't responsible for your grades, and is more likely to want to help you if you are polite.
    All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say call the department, as they're the ones who make the offers and decide who to let in on a particular course.

A college can't choose to let you come and study your subject, only the department choose that, as they do all the teaching. People chosen by the department get allocated to colleges (in a way that ensures there should be a few people studying each subject at every college) after the department has accepted them (hence why, when you first applied, most people received an offer from Durham before they got allocated a college). Your college can't make a department choose to accept you if you've missed your grades, so it's best to contact the admissions team for your department.

That said, if you only closely miss your offer and they still want to have you, sometimes the department will accept you anyway without any contact from you, which would come through on track as something like "confirmed unconditional" in the morning like everyone else's. A friend of mine found he'd got into his course at Durham through UCAS track before he went into school and found he'd missed his offer - he'd obviously done well enough and had a good enough personal statement that they still wanted him (a good choice, I think!). However, I don't think this happens very often and it would depend on how many places were still free in an individual department/ what their policies were, so if this isn't the case it's still definitely worth contacting the department.

Something to be aware of is that if you miss your offer and are still accepted, you aren't guaranteed to get a place at your originally allocated college - you may end up placed elsewhere, depending on which colleges have spaces. As more offers are made than there are places (since they assume people may miss grades/turn down places), priority is given to those who did meet their offer.

This means that although they can't help with getting you a place on your chosen course, if you know you've been accepted by the department, it may be worth contacting your college to ask what the situation is (if they can tell you anything - many can't yet), or even to "argue your case" for sticking with that college. There is no guarantee that they'll be able to take you still, but if it's a college you're really keen on, it's worth trying. My friend ended up at the same college as he originally applied to and was allocated, but I don't think it receives as many applications as some places, which may have helped them to fit him in. Other colleges are commonly oversubscribed and so you may encounter more difficulties, or not be able to go to that college at all and be given a place elsewhere. I'm afraid I don't know what the protocol is if your original college can't take you, as to whether you would get a choice in where you get put or not - but I would tend to think that you would just be placed wherever had space and could take someone on your course, without being asked for a preference.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers 'smiley potato'; your username's misleading as you certainly know your stuff! Thanks for that, I'll hold out with fingers crossed but it's nice to know there's a precedent and a process!
    Jamie

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.