Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what people Thoth about whether we should be cutting benefits.

ReputationRep:
    The Welfare State should be completely abolished. No benefits, no NHS, no nothing. We need a system decided by the market, not the government. If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Just wondering what people Thoth about whether we should be cutting benefits.
    Well Britain's population will be predominantly in the aging category so welfare and pensions would become more critical to support an aging population along with those who would need to spend time caring for them. The only way I would accept further welfare cuts is if there was an infrastructure in place to make people self reliant in terms of their employment supporting them. George Osbourne claimed he was trying to create a low welfare, high wage economy, but I don't think you can cut welfare before the wages are increased otherwise the impact is greater, the instruments of increasing wages and standard of living need to be in place to cushion the effects of reducing welfare otherwise people generally struggle much more.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by stevey396)
    The Welfare State should be completely abolished. No benefits, no NHS, no nothing. We need a system decided by the market, not the government. If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it.
    Sorry, were you looking for the 17th Century?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevey396)
    I'm disabled and I can't work for that reason. Without benefits I wouldn't be able to afford food, accomodation etc. Do you believe I don't deserve those things?

ReputationRep:

The issue is where/what do you cut?

I think the idea to reduce the Welfare state is a good one but not to the point where the lowest earners are left completely without any safety net.
    I'd remove child benefits for all kids after the second one (for future families, I wouldn't do it for families already with 3+ children).
    I do think Working Tax Credits need to phased out in the long run as they basically allow private companies to underpay workers. However this shouldn't be done in a way that disadvantages the worker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.