Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU nationals' university fees in case of Brexit Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I am a European national currently holding an offer to study at the university of London in 2016/2017, for a Msc. My fees are classified as EU/UK, but I was wondering about the possible short-term consequences of the UK leaving the EU. Will i have to pay overseas fees, and would this prevent me from applying for a government student loan?

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cafoscarin)
    Hi all, I am a European national currently holding an offer to study at the university of London in 2016/2017, for a Msc. My fees are classified as EU/UK, but I was wondering about the possible short-term consequences of the UK leaving the EU. Will i have to pay overseas fees, and would this prevent me from applying for a government student loan?

Thank you in advance
    There is currently no prospective provision on tuition fees so far down the line. However I think there are logical deductions you can make from a national interest's point of view.

I think it would be in the UK's interest to preserve our current fees structure since a large proportion of UK's researchers are from the EU, and has been educated here. It would be sensible to arrange an external agreement with the EU so that the UK can continue to attract highly educated individuals to study, research and work here.

Something to note is that whether the outcome is remain or leave, it would not impact you. In the event of leaving the union, this would be a stretched out process taking at least 2 years to transition before which the UK will still be a member of the EU. All current EU students (and those enrolled within the transition period) will be under the current fee structure as the current fee is within the agreement you have accepted with your university and vice versa. This agreement was in effect at the time they gave you an offer.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherishFreedom)
    There is currently no prospective provision on tuition fees so far down the line. However I think there are logical deductions you can make from a national interest's point of view.

I think it would be in the UK's interest to preserve our current fees structure since a large proportion of UK's researchers are from the EU, and has been educated here. It would be sensible to arrange an external agreement with the EU so that the UK can continue to attract highly educated individuals to study, research and work here.

Something to note is that whether the outcome is remain or leave, it would not impact you. In the event of leaving the union, this would be a stretched out process taking at least 2 years to transition before which the UK will still be a member of the EU. All current EU students (and those enrolled within the transition period) will be under the current fee structure as the current fee is within the agreement you have accepted with your university and vice versa. This agreement was in effect at the time they gave you an offer.

I hope this helps.

Yes, thank you very much for your answer, it is a relief somehow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.