The Student Room Group

What will you do if you don't get the grades you want?

Scroll to see replies

cry, and get over it
Original post by Prussia
I'm confident in history, French, German, geography and art. Not sure about English luterature, maths or double award science. I have further maths and one history exam still but did re and English language last year. Btw anyone have an idea of the art grade boundaries? I'm really close to the A/A* borderline (AQA exam board)

96% for an A* and ngl, I read somewhere that only about 1.5% of candidates entered for GCSE art end up with an A*. An A is more realistic in art, but if you get an A*, then wow.
Original post by xEmilyxx
96% for an A* and ngl, I read somewhere that only about 1.5% of candidates entered for GCSE art end up with an A*. An A is more realistic in art, but if you get an A*, then wow.

I don't do art but I take textiles but as a whole, this subject is so impossibly hard to get a good grade in. On top of that, it's highly subjective; what one examiner might like, the other may not. Also, you can't really teach art: it's a talent so what's the point of keeping it as a subject in school when only the people who are truly talented at it will get the best grades? It just seems unfair.
Reply 24

My teacher marked mine already and said if they don't change the grade boundaries I'll get an A*
Original post by MeerabBieber
During this exam season, many people's expectations have either increased or lowered tragically. Some, such as myself have already come to the conclusions that we haven't performed to our standard and have instead done terribly. Yet the only time we can actually decide this is on the dreaded day of 25th August. So I want to know what your reaction will be if you don't get the grades you want? Will it change your entire life course? Will you cry? Will you even care?

I won't get into the A level courses I want to do if I don't get my desired grades. If I don't get the grades I at least need to get into A-levels than I would be highly disappointed. I am not really obsessed with getting A* grades all I want it so bloody get in and if I don't I will cry on 25th August 2016 as my dreams will be crushed.
This happened to me last year and I cried even though I still did well. If anything, its made me work way harder for AS though. If I would have got lots of A*s like I had hoped, then I probably wouldn't have put much effort in this year. Natural intelligence may be good enough for some, but for many, hard work on top of your intelligence is vital to do well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tinka99
I won't get into the A level courses I want to do if I don't get my desired grades. If I don't get the grades I at least need to get into A-levels than I would be highly disappointed. I am not really obsessed with getting A* grades all I want it so bloody get in and if I don't I will cry on 25th August 2016 as my dreams will be crushed.

Think positively and work the hardest you can for the remainder of your exams. These exam could boost your point score and help you be able to do A-levels :smile:

Good Luck for results day :h:
I would be so upset but there are clearing options so that should make me feel slightly better.
I'll probably start crying in front of everyone and keep thinking about how I've messed my chances of getting in to oxbridge. :sadnod::sad::no::cry2::cry2:

Same
Original post by niv1234
If they turn out really bad I will probably cry or at least be holding back tears. But I've never thought about what grades I want exactly as I don't want to be disappointed by anything, I've just always thought that i will try the best I can and see what I get.

Exactly what I will do: I know that if I don't get teh grades I want i will be bitterly disappointed, but life goes on.
^^^ This is so relatable. I recently just made up my mind that no matter what happens in GCSE, I'm determined to do well in A-level.

About the coursework, my whole class' english coursework was marked down. I feel like the english teachers give you a nice grade in year 10, but as soon as year 11 comes, they turn into some carnivorous grade eating monsters :angry:
Oh well, let's just hope for the best and pray that we get the grades we want. :crossedf:

Haha, I completely agree - fortunately GCSE's are going well so far, and I definitely feel like I've done as best I could so I guess whilst I will be upset at least I will have no regrets.
YES english is exactly like that! What board do you do? Ours is a real disaster and we are the last year of my school to do it after our school got fed up with it and had a blanket remark by the chief examiner last year. I guess having english as one of my better subjects makes me lucky, because science is much easier to just learn than english. In year 10 my teacher was quite harsh, but year 11 took it to a ridiculous level. Fortunately I got full marks in all my coursework! :smile:
Original post by Tinka99

I'm sure you'll be fine! Just focus on the next exam, rather than results day. And don't worry too much over summer, whatever happens, well, it happens and worrying over summer won't be able to change it! Good luck! :smile:
Cry my eyes out as I don't want, but need the grades. Three As, please come true...

(doing A levels, not GCSEs though).
If all fails, I'll marry a rich man.

Spoiler

I'll still be on my course (hopefully) because I'm aiming for A*s but only need B's and an A in maths to get onto the course, but I'll be ridiculously disappointed considering I've missed parties, going out etc all for revision since January / February so I don't want to have put in sooo much work and not get what I want out.

I got an A* in GCSE Art and I honestly didn't find it that difficult to achieve it. I just think dedication is key to getting a good grade in Art. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caitlinford3
I've only heard of one person ever getting an A* in art and her work is incredible. Most of the results day videos on youtube, when someone has all A*s bar one the A is ALWAYS in art

There are two or three people in my school who are getting A* in art.
Original post by Martins1
Same

Exactly what I will do: I know that if I don't get teh grades I want i will be bitterly disappointed, but life goes on.

Haha, I completely agree - fortunately GCSE's are going well so far, and I definitely feel like I've done as best I could so I guess whilst I will be upset at least I will have no regrets.
YES english is exactly like that! What board do you do? Ours is a real disaster and we are the last year of my school to do it after our school got fed up with it and had a blanket remark by the chief examiner last year. I guess having english as one of my better subjects makes me lucky, because science is much easier to just learn than english. In year 10 my teacher was quite harsh, but year 11 took it to a ridiculous level. Fortunately I got full marks in all my coursework! :smile:

AQA. And same, my coursework was nearly full marks but my school moderator bought one of my controlled assessments down. It wasn't even fair because two other teachers marked it and they gave the same controlled assessment an A*.
(edited 7 years ago)
So far I know all exams have gone very well and are at an A* grade except for English Language which I know will be a B/A grade and English literature not sure what I got but don't think it's an A maybe a B. Computer science I hope I got an A* not sure lol and hopefully for maths I got an A* just not sure about the grade boundaries. Got around 172-175/200 and if the grade boundaries are lower then hopefully got an A* for maths! Just gotta focus on my last few exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
AQA. And same, my coursework was nearly full marks but my school moderator bought one of my controlled assessments down. It wasn't even fair because two other teachers marked it and they gave the same controlled assessment an A*.

That's harsh but English is very subjective I guess. Did you do the English Language paper about the ice skating? If so, how'd you find it?
Original post by jamesandrew93
I got an A* in GCSE Art and I honestly didn't find it that difficult to achieve it. I just think dedication is key to getting a good grade in Art. :smile:

Yeah, dedication is definitely key!
There are two or three people in my school who are getting A* in art.

My best friend is a brilliant artist currently going through the GCSE - he has done so much work. I went to see his work and he has done five whole books of drawings, as opposed to the two of most the other art students. I really hope he will get an A* because he definitely deserves it and has done so much work for it - his dedication is unparallelled, he spent the whole of easter drawing and painting! I know one girl who got 100% in the exam (considering A* is 98% it still seems like she scraped it...) and it was due to lots of talent. Art is very subjective too - but i think whether I like it or not, markers can recognise good art pieces and good skills, especailly with a wide plethora of art work.

Quick Reply

Latest