Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Milly. I would really love to go on a gap year, but I also want to go on an art foundation course. Can I go on a gap year before or after?
    Please help!
    thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by millrose)
    Hi, my name is Milly. I would really love to go on a gap year, but I also want to go on an art foundation course. Can I go on a gap year before or after?
    Please help!
    thanks
    Foundation courses are classed as FE and so aren't funded by university style funding.

If you're under 19 when you start then your course fees will be paid for you by the government (but you'll have to fund your living costs yourself - some universities and colleges have bursary funds available for this and if you live away from home you can claim income support).

If you're 19 or over then you are able to get a loan to cover your fees which is then added onto your student loans from your degree (so you repay for longer not with higher repayments) and as long as you're under 20 you would still be eligible for income support.

Ideally it's financially best to take you foundation straight after college. They'll give you a lot of support applying to university too (and you can always apply for deferred entry to allow you to take a gap year while still getting the UCAS support).

What were you hoping to do on your gap year? You will get a very long summer break between finishing your foundation and starting uni (depending which uni you go to - Scottish ones start a month or more earlier than many UK unis)....3-4 months.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you for replying so fast! :P
    Last week a person with Project Trust visited my school to speak to us, and I loved it and thought it would be the perfect structured gap year for me. I have emailed them to ask what they think on whether I should do a foundation or gap year first. And honestly, I'm not sure whether I will want to go to uni, so I'm just gonna do what I feel like and go where I want. But I am aware that the foundation will be paid for me, so I'm gonna do some thinking and talk to my teachers.
    Thank you for all your help!! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.