Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do multivitamins bought in store really increase iron levels? Watch

Do iron and multivitamins bought at shops actually help much? I've been feeling tired lately (maybe due to putting lots of effort into my running) and in the past tests have shown borderline anaemia on several occasions but not enough for the go to prescribe ferrous sulphate tablets. I just feel very lazy like I can't be bothered to do things and everything seems like too much of a chore. I never really perk up u til 6pm ish and even then I have the can't be bothered feeling. When I go running I only really enjoy the sitting down having a drink and chat afterwards. There could be several reasons for this but if it is a lack of iron is there much evidence to show that multivitamins bought in store help? Or are they a bit of a fad?

ReputationRep:
    I was literally just on bbc Iplayer watching 'the truth about about healthy eating' and apprently they don't actually work
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Go and see your GP. Check for iron and then follow the suggested dose. Multis contain far lower amounts than iron tablets.

Take between meals and with a bit of fruit juice. Food is always better.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia...Treatment.aspx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do iron and multivitamins bought at shops actually help much? I've been feeling tired lately (maybe due to putting lots of effort into my running) and in the past tests have shown borderline anaemia on several occasions but not enough for the go to prescribe ferrous sulphate tablets. I just feel very lazy like I can't be bothered to do things and everything seems like too much of a chore. I never really perk up u til 6pm ish and even then I have the can't be bothered feeling. When I go running I only really enjoy the sitting down having a drink and chat afterwards. There could be several reasons for this but if it is a lack of iron is there much evidence to show that multivitamins bought in store help? Or are they a bit of a fad?
    Go see a doctor first to make sure they wouldn't advise anything else but yes (if you get ones with iron in).
    They don't have much so if you had a proper deficiency they wouldn't help, but it is enough to give you a little boost of it. If your levels have dropped more and you need supplements your gp can prescribe iron tablets in the right dosage for what you need, but if not ask them how much they think you should take from multivitamins.
    If you've recently started running it may be that you are using up too much protien so having a protien shake after a run could help.

They only increase it temporarily. For the real stuff eat more foods with vitamins

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.