Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for a teaching assistant position at at infants school. For part of the interview I have to work with 6 children that will be from Reception/ Year 1 and will be working on Phase 3 Letters and Sounds. I have to 'Plan and deliver a 15 minute differentiated activity to reinforce children's phonological knowledge.'

any ideas would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    What qualifications are they asking for this position out of interest? Asking a teaching assistant to design a differentiated activity sounds very advanced (and more akin to a skill taught on PGCE/QTS courses) and would make me suspicious of what the school's intentions are for this "teaching assistant" - are they looking for another teacher under the guise of a teaching assistant? I've also never been aware of teaching assistants delivering activities in this way (the teacher has always planned it for them...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pillinois)
    What qualifications are they asking for this position out of interest? Asking a teaching assistant to design a differentiated activity sounds very advanced (and more akin to a skill taught on PGCE/QTS courses) and would make me suspicious of what the school's intentions are for this "teaching assistant" - are they looking for another teacher under the guise of a teaching assistant? I've also never been aware of teaching assistants delivering activities in this way (the teacher has always planned it for them...)
    They are asking for GCSE in English and Maths and experience with young children and desirable qualification level 3 early years or teaching assistant. That's what I thought I've never heard of TAs planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLWX)
    They are asking for GCSE in English and Maths and experience with young children and desirable qualification level 3 early years or teaching assistant. That's what I thought I've never heard of TAs planning.
    Welcome to the future. Why pay teachers to teach when you can pay TAs! Good luck with your lesson. I observed a couple of phonics lessons. They involved the teacher going through some words and getting the children to spell similar words on their white boards. Without a doubt it was one of the dullest lessons I have ever seen. Thanks a lot Gove.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen anything fun done with phonics tbh. You can use a phonics board to spell words, have a board set up with columns and children put sounds together and see who can make the most words etc. You could run through all the sounds then give a word and ask which sound it starts with. I would focus on the way you come across, i.e. bubbly, energetic and engaging.

I would be concerned they're asking you to do this. I'm a TA and I'm pretty sure that only HLTAs are meant to be running their own sessions as a rule, in my experience it's normal for TAs to take on this role (I've done groups for a bunch of different things including phonics) but I would have thought they'd get you in and settled and then give you responsibilities as it seemed appropriate whereas this sounds like teaching is a significant part of what they envision for you. Have a good think about whether that's something you're happy with and consider asking about it at interview cos tbh if you're only on like £7-8 an hour do you want those responsibilities?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.