Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 8 and wanna become a GP doctor. Do I have todo extra research on medicine stuff like why we get pins and needle and why we get spots and illnesses and other stuff etc OR should I concentrate just on school work and do well in school especially in sciences and maths. Also when do we learn about stuff like spots and pins and needles and illnesses and diseases etc.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jurgenklopp123)
    I'm in year 8 and wanna become a GP doctor. Do I have todo extra research on medicine stuff like why we get pins and needle and why we get spots and illnesses and other stuff etc OR should I concentrate just on school work and do well in school especially in sciences and maths. Also when do we learn about stuff like spots and pins and needles and illnesses and diseases etc.
    Definitely work hard at school, it would be good to do research so you can find out if it's for you and get work experience in hospitals etc (there's usually work experience week in year 10, but apply early (start of y10) as they're popular and see if you have any family or friend contacts that can help you get in too)

Have a look at the following for more info:

Medicine Wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
    Medicine forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195
    FAQs about medicine: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Guide_and_FAQs

Also I've moved your thread to the Medicine forum.

ReputationRep:
    Pins and needles lol.

As above. It's a long haul.

ReputationRep:
    Well -- make sure, when it comes to the time, you pick good GCSE options. Indeed, it is these subjects which are important so, while many may not agree with this, try and pick subjects you are best at and enjoy given you need as many A*s (or 8/9s now I believe) as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to do formal "research" but sure, if you're curious about something look it up...

You'll learn about some illnesses and conditions during GCSEs and A levels, but if you mean being formally taught about how to use symptoms (e.g. pins and needles) to make a diagnosis, that's what medical school is for.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Unless you're heading towards Cambridge etc where they ask scientific questions then it's a good idea to start reading slowly into things.

But for now, concentrate on your GCSEs and then start looking into volunteering and work experience.

You'll learn most of the stuff in medical school, looking back at A-level biology, I barely learnt anything relevant to what I'm studying now apart from things like the heart and lungs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.