The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries of resit only papers

Thought I'd raise an interesting point, grade boundaries are decided by how well the students do on the paper correct? With some subjects moving over to the new specs, the only people sitting some AS papers will be A2 students who are resitting, does this mean the grade boundaries will be higher because more people will do well?

For example, yesterday was the CHEM2 paper, and the only people doing it are resit students because there is a new chemistry specification for the current AS students, how is this going to affect the grade boundaries?
A lot of people are saying the grade boundaries will be higher:cry2:
Reply 2
Original post by haj101
A lot of people are saying the grade boundaries will be higher:cry2:

Most likely since its only people who are doing it again and would have 2 years studying rather than 1. Then again how many people would have actually been 'studying' for their retakes and also many people could have progressed nothing. or even no show people who didn't want to retake.

Will probably be highest but not by a lot.
Could be higher, but people doing resits won't be the smartest people, so possibly they won't be too bad. (I hope anyway, having resat Physics 1)
Reply 4
Last year, you needed 85/100 for an A in CHEM2, maybe exam boards will put a hard cap on the highest marks possible for an A, so if the average is really high then an A will still be around that region. I think it's unfair if the grade boundaries are MUCH higher, because it's still an AS paper and should be marked and treated as such.

Quick Reply

Latest