Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know there's a couple of questions like this already, but not recent, and also not really specific enough in my case?

I know that a surprising amount of LGBT groups/people are biphobic - not letting bi people attend pride celebrations if they're currently with someone of the opposite sex, or gay bars not letting bi people in because they're 'not gay enough'. Obviously this isn't hugely common, but it's common enough that I figured it would be worth asking.

I've been pretty much closeted right up until now, so I don't have much wider experience with the community, and since I'm going to Nottingham this September I want to be prepared. Any gay bars/clubs that have a history of being biphobic, or any bad experiences with local societies or people in them?

ReputationRep:
    I've not had a great deal of involvement with the LGBT+ society at Nottingham but there are definitely bisexual people in the society and I've never seen any biphobia. There is a real diverse range of identities within the society and I would be very sad if someone was accused of "not being gay enough". There are also hetero-romantic asexual people, transgender heterosexual people etc. - these people may also have a partner of the opposite gender/sex, but they still fall under the LGBT+ umbrella. If you did experience an issue then I'd bring it up with one of the officers of the society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlesanaWill)
    I've not had a great deal of involvement with the LGBT+ society at Nottingham but there are definitely bisexual people in the society and I've never seen any biphobia. There is a real diverse range of identities within the society and I would be very sad if someone was accused of "not being gay enough". There are also hetero-romantic asexual people, transgender heterosexual people etc. - these people may also have a partner of the opposite gender/sex, but they still fall under the LGBT+ umbrella. If you did experience an issue then I'd bring it up with one of the officers of the society.
    Ok, thanks! It all seems fairly inclusive, which is good. Most of my experience with the community up until now has been online, and you tend to encounter the worst bits of society there and hear some pretty bad stories - that's why I was a bit unsure. You've reassured me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.