The Student Room Group

Tips on improving confidence?

I have pretty low confidence and this greatly affects relationships, in terms of dating, friends, work etc.
I'm self conscious about my appearance (nothing i can change, it's mainly about facial features) and after years at school being bullied by people i cared about and told i was worthless, i keep trying to move forward but i'm still not there :/

I've read about CBT, mindfulness, medication, ABC etc, but my problem is actually putting it into practice, because talking and being loud seems embarrassing if i mess it up. I care too much about what people think and no matter how much i know i shouldn't, the thought of not caring and just speaking whatever comes to mind terrifies me.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how you became confident? It doesn't have to apply to my situation, i would just like your tips or stories :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have pretty low confidence and this greatly affects relationships, in terms of dating, friends, work etc.
I'm self conscious about my appearance (nothing i can change, it's mainly about facial features) and after years at school being bullied by people i cared about and told i was worthless, i keep trying to move forward but i'm still not there :/

I've read about CBT, mindfulness, medication, ABC etc, but my problem is actually putting it into practice, because talking and being loud seems embarrassing if i mess it up. I care too much about what people think and no matter how much i know i shouldn't, the thought of not caring and just speaking whatever comes to mind terrifies me.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how you became confident? It doesn't have to apply to my situation, i would just like your tips or stories :smile:

It mainly comes with experience.

Stop being a lil' ***** and put yourself out there :smile:
start tworking and you'll instently have the confidence of a hooka!
Fake it 'til you make it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

To be honest, religion has helped me with self-confidence so I definitely think if you start to look into your religion (if you have one) or a certain set of beliefs you follow you'll be able to feel organised.
Secondly, if you try taking up a hobby like an instrument or singing or anything really, then you'll be able to feel as though you're good at something or at least have a certain interest that you can communicate to friends with.
Surround yourself with new people, maybe go to the youth club and meet some new friends with one of your peers at school or a relative.
Study well so you can feel good about your grades.
Be nice to other people so they can appreciate you but not too nice so people don't take advantage of you.
When you don't want to do or say something, tell the person (but not if its chores or something coz ya gotta do those or mum will get mad).
Stand up for other people or yourself so you can become respected and no one could stand a chance to take advantage of you.
Heh, idk what else. That's really helped me though.
Take care of your body, workout.
Does anyone have any notes/essays about the biological explanation of depression?
Original post by Fleming1928
Does anyone have any notes/essays about the biological explanation of depression?

I hear google is pretty good at finding new information!
Biggest tip I could give is try to not care about what others think.
Original post by 34908seikj
I hear google is pretty good at finding new information!

omfg wrong thread I'm sorry :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending