Turn on thread page Beta

Fixing the disc drive to read DVD-R? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got a CDROM Drive on this comp (but DVD-R's should work in it right?) but it doesn't read the DVD-R. It crashes in PowerDVD too. The DVD is fine I've played it and it works fine, not slow down or anything. I want to get the contents of the DVD-R on my computer to edit what's on it but it's not being picked up. How can I fix it? Do I need a new ASPI thing or what? BTW it reads CD's fine, are DVD-R's protected in some way. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Is this a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive?

ReputationRep:
    Well, on closer inspection, it's a DVD drive so it should be playing DVDs no prob (it's the only disc drive for this comp). What's the problem then?

ReputationRep:
    Does it read normal DVDs i.e none copied ones?

ReputationRep:
    My DVD ROM drive crashed powerDVD and other software players when trying to access DVD's.

Upgrading the ROM's firmware corrected the problem 100%.

Check out the manufacturers website for the DVD ROM.

ReputationRep:
    The manufacturer of my DVD drive or what? It's a time comp with so how do I find out that info.

Could it be a decoder problem? I can't play any kind of DVD BTW (at least in WMP) and I uninstalled PowerDVD.

ReputationRep:
    WMP does not nativly support DVD playback. Dont worry about it.

Go into Device Manager and check out the caption next to your DVD drive icon, it will probably tell u a Manufacturer and Model name there

*EDIT*

Yeah, uninstalling PowerDVD was exactly what i did, but it had no effect. Ultimately loosing PowerDVD as the setup was all part of the Product Recovery discs. Dohhh *slaps head*

Try the firmware upgrade. Failing that, reinstall XP to see if the problems still persist- that way, you can rule out a software problem and hopefully get your DVD drive recovered under warrenty.

ReputationRep:
    What is firmware?

ReputationRep:
    its software internal to the hardware of the component. Firmware updates are released for more or less every PC component that can be improved. Its 100% safe providing you get Exactly the right firmware update for your model of DVD ROM drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverTomlinson)
    its software internal to the hardware of the component. Firmware updates are released for more or less every PC component that can be improved. Its 100% safe providing you get Exactly the right firmware update for your model of DVD ROM drive.
    No, Firmware is what big national/multinational companies use and is nothing to do with home users. While it's becoming more and more popular in today's e-commerce systems in business, I really don't think it's relevant to this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    No, Firmware is what big national/multinational companies use and is nothing to do with home users. While it's becoming more and more popular in today's e-commerce systems in business, I really don't think it's relevant to this thread.
    :rolleyes:
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Err wtf?

Firmware is the software for hardware. Hardware devices have their own software which controls it. For example a CD-ROM has a ROM chip which will contain software to control the motor etc. A standard CD player has firmware, the software that lets you select tracks etc is firmware. Our central heating has Firmware in the control panal and that was installed in 1984!

Firmware has been around since the 1960's its nothing new. The most obvious firmware a PC has is the BIOS.

You can update Firmware by flashing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Err wtf?

Firmware is the software for hardware. Hardware devices have their own software which controls it. For example a CD-ROM has a ROM chip which will contain software to control the motor etc. A standard CD player has firmware, the software that lets you select tracks etc is firmware. Our central heating has Firmware in the control panal and that was installed in 1984!

Firmware has been around since the 1960's its nothing new. The most obvious firmware a PC has is the BIOS.

You can update Firmware by flashing it.
    I was taking the piss outta Oli, dear

ReputationRep:
    your gonna get a ***** slappin' next time i see u hammy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverTomlinson)
    your gonna get a ***** slappin' next time i see u hammy!
    Yehyeh! :rolleyes:

I'm having a great day today though, I bought a memory card off the net the other day and it came yesterday - then another came today!!! The best thing about it is that they're both 256MB and my card only got charged once, and even if they do demand them back or charge my card again that's illegal!!!!!!! So either way I've earnt myself £32!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.